Welcome Daisy 53 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks to all for the info, keep it coming!
I sure do feel the love here, its awesome! It is nice to find a forum where busting of your buddies b***s is encouraged and welcomed, I'll fit in nicely:flipoff2:
Daisy

Thanks to all for the info, keep it coming!
I sure do feel the love here, its awesome! It is nice to find a forum where busting of your buddies b***s is encouraged and welcomed, I'll fit in nicely:flipoff2:
Daisy

Well lets get started.

If you are a gal, then we will cut you some slack.
If you are a guy with a nym of "Daisy" then I am sure you will not get teased much.
If you are an emo then you and Rory will get along nicely.

(I am off today.... could anyone tell?)

-Mike-

Well lets get started.

If you are a gal, then we will cut you some slack.
If you are a guy with a nym of "Daisy" then I am sure you will not get teased much.
If you are an emo then you and Rory will get along nicely.

(I am off today.... could anyone tell?)

-Mike-
Option 2 is the correct one.
A friend of mine breeds emus or are the elpacas?? Whats the difference? Anyways, he might be able to arrange some alone time if needed...
Daisy

My gawd. So much to reply to. I might be up all night.

Pesky Heater Hose. This short piece of rubber sits in an impossible location behind the engine head. A common failure point. Replacement requires removal of the engine to replace. Best to replace this hose while you have the head off replacing the head gasket.

The 91-92 models are FJ80s. The 93-97 are FZJ80s.
See ... 80 snob.

Edited for clarity.
The following are most of the reasons why I would not buy a 91-92.
  • No air bags and no way to retrofit. Correct. Its one flaw.
  • 15" wheels meaning smaller brakes and rear drum brakes. Swap in a rear axle and master cylinder and call it a day.
  • Rear axle is semi-floater. See above.
  • No ABS, not even as an option. Worthless off-road.
  • No factory locking diffs. ARB.
  • 3FE engine with ~150hp. EXTREMELY underpowered in the 80-Series and fuel economy is about the same (maybe worse) than the later models. :meh: LC's were never meant to be rocket ships.
  • Most of the other differences are cosmetic but there are a lot of differences so be aware when you go parts shopping or carrying spares for the trail.

One more thing. Never, ever listen to Jon. He has no clue about anything other than cactii, some weeds, and a couple of ugly flowers.

First, it's "cacti" not "cactii." You use Firefox don't you? Did you not believe the red line under the word? Yes, I majored in flowers in college and I currently get paid to watch them grow.

The guy drives a 23 year old truck and thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Yer point? Twenty three year old 4Runners rock! And it not the best thing since sliced bread ... it's better!

He has spent the past 6 years fiddling around with a 40 year old bucket of bolts trying to figure out how to put it all back together. Most of the buckets are scattered about his bedroom and he sleeps with a freshly painted bonnet (and I'm not talking about the kind you put on your head to go outside.)

[sigh]Five years Mike, not six. And those parts are no longer in buckets. The cats found them.

The guy is daffy. We have an intervention planned for mid-September. PM me for details.

Daffy? Couldn't find that in the dictionary. What ever it is, I'm sure it's true. Intervention? Cool, ya gonna help me put her back together?

TRD has resumed producing and shipping the Supercharger kits for the 1FZ-FE engines. I am also monitoring the progress that Rick is making on a turbo kit. The S/C adds ~100hp; the turbo kit may add ~200hp. If I live long enough for you to get DA '40 running and if you blow my doors off, then it won't be for long. :D

-Mike-

Mike, all I can say is over Connie's dead body. I'll have da'40 done long before she is rolling over in her grave.

All this love is making me sick. ;p

Me too. Group hug.

Last edited:
That's the main catalyst for me selling my 60. I want to get an 80 for more safety features and more modern creature comforts (3-point seatbelts in the rear seats, power windows, fuel injection, more power, more torque, more cushy ride,....)

That and the fact that you have the green light from the :princess:.

Option 2 is the correct one.
A friend of mine breeds emus or are the elpacas?? Whats the difference?

Geez dude. One is related to camels, and the other related to chickens.

(ok, I admit. I'm finally off work. Hell of a week. Two and a half 10 hour work days left and I'm in southern Utah picking peaches and pears.)

Daisy,

Go check out the 3rd gen 4Runners. Some of them have the optional rear locker and gets way better mileage than any of the LCs with gobs more power (power to weight ratio). Solid front axles are over rated unless you have a specific need for them. The lighter and narrower 4Runner makes an excellent trail rig IMHO. Aftermarket support for the Mini's are abundant and plenty of used parts on the 'net as well.

If you're looking into the 80 series, I'd look into post '95 model year for the dual air bags.

Cheers.

Geez dude. One is related to camels, and the other related to chickens.

(ok, I admit. I'm finally off work. Hell of a week. Two and a half 10 hour work days left and I'm in southern Utah picking peaches and pears.)
Ahh i see, so which one lays the eggs???
Daisy

Daisy,

Go check out the 3rd gen 4Runners.

Good call Ali. If it wasn't for my wife's commandment, err, suggestion that we need a vehicle with 3rd row seats, I'd prefer to find a 1996 - 2000 4Runner. Even though we only have two kids (dont' plan for any more - the Urologist said the procedure is over 99% effective :eek:) she wants to have the option of hauling a friend and a couple more kids occasionally.

3rd Gen 4Runners can get close to 20 mpg (sometimes more), a manual transmission was still an option through 2000 and you can find some of them with a factory electric locking rear diff the same as the 98 - ??? TRD Tacos got. There were a ton more 4 Runners sold than 80's and you likely won't have to look outside of the Albuquerque area to find one.

I don't wheel enough (or hard enough) nor am I willing to spend enough money on my truck to take full advantage of the benefits of a solid front axle. If you don't need the third row seats, would like better than 13-15 mpg and only plan to use it for mild to moderate off-road use and driving on snowy, icy, muddy roads, I'd seriously consider a 4 Runner.

I've seen a few very well built, very capable off-road rigs based 3rd Gen 4Runners. You can do a Solid Axle Swap if want more lift or durability than the fron CV Axles can handle. The FZJ80 can probably tow a little more but I've seen plenty of 3rd Gen 4 Runners towing trailers that weigh at least a couple thousand pounds. SteveLCetc has a really nice Baja Popup that he seems to easily tow with his 3rd Gen 4 Runner. Any complaints Steve?

Marc

The only complaint with the 3rd gen is the IFS - but as you say, it's not that big a deal. We're actually coming up on decision time. As much as we like wheeling the 40, we'll need tires soon for the '99 4Runner. We have an old set of 285-75x16's with well over half the tread left, and we can put a basic lift on the 4Runner for the same price as new tires. On the other hand, we could sell it and the pop-up (a Jayco Baja like SlimBuddha's) and buy a tow rig with a camper to take the 40 places.

As far as towing, it tows the Baja very well. We recently surreptitiously compared the mpg with the 4Runner pulling the Baja to a 60 on a trip, and with the trailer we got better mpg than the 60 by itself. It's a fairly heavy trailer at 3,000 gvwr too, what with the heavy duty frame etc. Last year we took it to Montana and Minnesota - you can't even tell it's there behind the 4Runner. Plus, it gets about 20 mpg at 75 mph by itself. We have the 5 speed though too. One of the best purchases I ever made.

All,
That might be an option to look at as well, Ill have to see how comfortable they are on the inside, they might be a little small for me!!
An option for sure, thanks for bringing it up!
Thanks
:flipoff2:
Daisy

I'm 6'2" and float in the 190lbs range, and found the older 4runners to be cramped to sit in. I fit fine in the 80.

G

I almost forgot, another reason to get the 80. 4 days ago I made a run over Black Bear Pass, ate at a friends in Ophir, then back on Ophir pass. At the pass on Black Bear a guy in a jeep was in front of me going really slow. He pulled over and I pulled alongside and asked him if he was going to go all the way to Telluride. He said he wasn't sure and I offered to lead and spot if he needed it. He still wasn't sure because it may be too scary and rough. I rolled down the rear window revealing my 2 year old, 4 yo, and my buddies 4yo in the back seat. He said, "Oh man....Now, I have to go."

Moral of the story: Show me a vehicle that can fit 3 full size car seats in the back and still wheel like crazy.

G

Last edited:
man, you all have been busy. i miss reading the forum for 2 days and there's a new post with 2 pages!
ok- Daisy, welcome. i am semi looking for an 80 too. they have a bit more room, but i owned a '98 4runner before and it was great(20 mpg). i sold it to get a tow rig (F350 diesel Ford). i tow about 6000lbs. Steve, i never regretted getting a better tow rig. go for it. the only reason i'm thinking of an 80 is i have 2 kids myself. the 40 is getting tough to camp in for the wife and i want at least 6" lift. i get kinda hardcore at times and don't like to be denied.:D

If you aren't stuck on the Solid axle, consider a 100 series (98' -2007 Landcruiser, 98' - 2007 Lexus LX 470). They have all the creature comforts, safety features (ABS, 4 wheel disk, air bags, etc). They are bigger than the 80 series, but you can stuff a 33" tire with stock suspension, and go up to 35". It has a v8, gets better gas mileage than the 80, and has a larger tow capacity.

There are third row seats.. and prices are dropping on these as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom