Welcome Daisy 53 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks for the info all, was going to go and look at this rig. Now i will keep on looking for a better start to my Cruiser ownership.
Daisy

Welcome to mud!

Thanks for the info all, was going to go and look at this rig. Now i will keep on looking for a better start to my Cruiser ownership.
Daisy

I am pretty new here myself, but I would say introduce yourself and let the folks here know what you are looking for. HDC meetings are once a month (but if you found yourself this far I guess you can find the info). Great group to get to know!

Rudy

Rudy, Rudy, Rudy .... where are your manors? We MUST give this boy a proper MUD salute and welcome. Hey Daisy ... Welcome to MUD and HDC. Post up your junk. Tell us about yourself.

:flipoff2:

Daisy 53,

If you're in the market for a 60-series, I've got an '87 FJ60 that I'm selling. It's a rust-free New Mexico truck with a fairly new paint job and pretty good interior. Send me a PM and we can discuss further if you're interested.

Marc

Jon, Jon, Jon,

I am pretty new here myself, but I would say introduce yourself and let the folks here know what you are looking for. HDC meetings are once a month (but if you found yourself this far I guess you can find the info). Great group to get to know!

Rudy

Read the sig. I know we dont know if Daisy has any other Toy's but no Cruiser? :flipoff2:

oops!

Rudy, Rudy, Rudy .... where are your manors? We MUST give this boy a proper MUD salute and welcome. Hey Daisy ... Welcome to MUD and HDC. Post up your junk. Tell us about yourself.

:doh: I meant to post this quote.

Daisy

And, you could consider a mini. Although there is a limited contingent of people who think that there is a big difference between the mini's and cruisers, globally there is a continuum. Those believing in the microcosm of the US market are small thinkers in my opinion and miss the concept of Toyota's international reputation of durability and dependability.

Read the sig. I know we dont know if Daisy has any other Toy's but no Cruiser? :flipoff2:

Thanks for the salute Rudy, and the spanking. :grinpimp: This deserves a new thread. Let's help Daisy get into the Cruiser world.

Those believing in the microcosm of the US market are small thinkers in my opinion and miss the concept of Toyota's international reputation of durability and dependability.

Huh?

-Mike-

Wow, awesome response!
I currently am without any sort of 4x4 and its been terrible! Got rid of my Tahoe 6 months back to get a ride that I could put our new baby in. Here comes the flames im sure, but I bought a Nissan Murano :eek:
So now im wanting to get back to something that i can go and have fun with, take to the ski resorts and not worry about the wonderful Abq weather!!
I was thinking about a 60 series, but im leaning more towards the 80's now, need to have something with a little more security for my son. I do think that this will become a sickness and i will end up with a 55 or a 60 in the future. Of course that will be an additional vehicle.
Looking forward to seeing you all!
Oh btw :flipoff2:
Thanks
Daisy

I was thinking about a 60 series, but im leaning more towards the 80's now, need to have something with a little more security for my son.

Daisy,
Safety and security is a big item for many of us with families and I recommend getting one equipped with air bags. The 95 Land Cruiser and the 96-97 LC and LX have air bags.

-B-

That's the main catalyst for me selling my 60. I want to get an 80 for more safety features and more modern creature comforts (3-point seatbelts in the rear seats, power windows, fuel injection, more power, more torque, more cushy ride,....)

3 point belts are a must, would like to get airbags too, but i think the cost will be a little prohibitive. We shall see.
Been looking at a 91 in California, wish i could afford to pull the trigger on it right now, looks like a good rig at a good price!
Any issues with the older, first gen 80's?
Thanks all
Daisy

Been looking at a 91 in California, wish i could afford to pull the trigger on it right now, looks like a good rig at a good price!
Thanks all
Daisy

Depends on who you talk too. Personally, I think 80's are for sissys and old men. That statement is usually followed by [ducking] as Mike and Dan toss something my way :eek:. That said, 1991-92 will have the mighty 3FE engine for power. 1993+ 80's will have the 1FZ-FE, disk brakes, etc. Now, I don't have a problem with the mighty 3FE. I sort of own one. They have a following. The 80 snobs will tell you to stay away and get something with the 1FZ and then under their breath tell you to just suck up and deal with the PHH, and head gasket. :grinpimp:

Mike can point you to the FAQ that talks about the differences, and benefits of each year. To be honest ... I would get a 1995+, take care of the PHH, headgasket and crappy radiator, and never worry about them again. In the mean time I can't wait to blow Mike's doors off with my 3FE. :clap:

PHH ???

The 91-92 models are FJ80s. The 93-97 are FZJ80s. There are some significant differences year-to-year but the biggest change came in 1993 with the 1FZ-FE engine for the US.

The following are most of the reasons why I would not buy a 91-92.
No air bags and no way to retrofit.
15" wheels meaning smaller brakes and rear drum brakes.
Rear axle is semi-floater.
No ABS, not even as an option.
No factory locking diffs.
3FE engine with ~150hp. EXTREMELY underpowered in the 80-Series and fuel economy is about the same (maybe worse) than the later models.
Most of the other differences are cosmetic but there are a lot of differences so be aware when you go parts shopping or carrying spares for the trail.

If you were looking for a trail truck that you planned to do an engine and axle swap then go for it. Otherwise, avoid the 91-92 models unless price is the overriding issue. They can be had for $1,500 or so. It would have to be a cream puff to bring over $3k.

When you are shopping for one in the FZJ80 series you have most vehicles with ABS & disk brakes on all 4 corners, airbags in 95-97, you have both Lexus and Toyota models to choose from, 16" wheels, FF rear axle, 212HP with OBD-II and improved fuel management in the 96-97 years. Approximately 7% of the 93-97 vehicles are fitted with factory locking F&R diffs which will save you $2,000 if you plan to off-road and fit ARB axle locks. If you are not planning to do hard trails then you will have a much wider selection than those that have to have that option.

One more thing. Never, ever listen to Jon. He has no clue about anything other than cactii, some weeds, and a couple of ugly flowers. The guy drives a 23 year old truck and thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread. He has spent the past 6 years fiddling around with a 40 year old bucket of bolts trying to figure out how to put it all back together. Most of the buckets are scattered about his bedroom and he sleeps with a freshly painted bonnet (and I'm not talking about the kind you put on your head to go outside.)

The guy is daffy. We have an intervention planned for mid-September. PM me for details.

-Mike-

One more thing. Never, ever listen to Jon. He has no clue about anything other than cactii, some weeds, and a couple of ugly flowers. The guy drives a 23 year old truck and thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread. He has spent the past 6 years fiddling around with a 40 year old bucket of bolts trying to figure out how to put it all back together. Most of the buckets are scattered about his bedroom and he sleeps with a freshly painted bonnet (and I'm not talking about the kind you put on your head to go outside.)

The guy is daffy. We have an intervention planned for mid-September. PM me for details.

-Mike-

All this love is making me sick. ;p

In the mean time I can't wait to blow Mike's doors off with my 3FE. :clap:

TRD has resumed producing and shipping the Supercharger kits for the 1FZ-FE engines. I am also monitoring the progress that Rick is making on a turbo kit. The S/C adds ~100hp; the turbo kit may add ~200hp. If I live long enough for you to get DA '40 running and if you blow my doors off, then it won't be for long. :D

-Mike-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom