Weird.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday we were travelling to Atlanta. Along 85 there was a big backup in SC. We were sitting in traffic for about 20 minutes when all of a sudden the 100 ran rough for a few seconds then died. Ended up pushing it into the median. Would not start. I was on the phone with AAA (about 20 minutes later), and turned the key and voila! Started up and ran fine the rest of the trip.

No indication of anything wrong on any gauges or idiot lights. Very warm out (94), had the AC running, etc. but nothing unusual.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I had a similar issue , I had read may threads looking for the same problem non of them sound good but all say wait until it happens again to really worry about it. (APPS issue ?) I also did not see any indication lights and no codes were thrown. I was able to restart with in 5 mins of the shut down or limp mode , I could not tell if I was in limp mode or not. I have been waiting for it to happen again, but that was almost 4 months ago and has not happened. Was your cruise control on at the time ?

Nope, no cruise. We were actually at a stand still in the traffic.

When it happened to me , I had been cursing along for hours, got into heavy traffic stop and go (ATL), it was hot outside, I had AC running .... Truck just died... I turned off AC , started to panic a bit ... waited 5 mins then restarted.. everything was as if it never happened. I will follow your thread and see if you can pick up any other information. It is a bit unnerving to have your truck cut out on the interstate.. Since then , I have towed a camper , driven countless miles, went off road, was in the same conditions, no issues.

Yesterday we were travelling to Atlanta. Along 85 there was a big backup in SC. We were sitting in traffic for about 20 minutes when all of a sudden the 100 ran rough for a few seconds then died. Ended up pushing it into the median. Would not start. I was on the phone with AAA (about 20 minutes later), and turned the key and voila! Started up and ran fine the rest of the trip.

No indication of anything wrong on any gauges or idiot lights. Very warm out (94), had the AC running, etc. but nothing unusual.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I had a similar thing in my 98. I took the battery cable off and let programming reset. Never had an issue ever again with it.

Have you cleaned your TB lately?

Happened to me in a previous hundy, but at full speed. Turned out to be the cam sensor. Took a week with diagnostic attached before it happend again and they could identify the problem.

Still never heard of anyone else having that problem so it's probably a long shot in the dark.

Happened to me in a previous hundy, but at full speed. Turned out to be the cam sensor. Took a week with diagnostic attached before it happend again and they could identify the problem.

Still never heard of anyone else having that problem so it's probably a long shot in the dark.

I've had that problem but in a different vehicle. Heat soak stress components on the verge of failure. Cools down a bit and resumes working. Intermittent failure modes are a bugger to trace sometimes until they fully manifest themselves.

Yes. Pull off the intake plumbing and go at it with some throttle body specific cleaner and a toothbrush/rag. Takes all of 10 minutes start to finish. Every auto parts store I've ever been to has the cleaner, costs ~$5.

I'll show my ignorance....what is a TB and how do you clean it?

Throttle Body?

pull off the big tube going to the front of the motor. if it's dirty clean it...carb cleaner and an old toothbrush. Be careful you don't shoot the red straw off the can into the motor. That could be ugly.

how long you in atl for?

Last edited:
pull off the big tube going to the front of the motor. if it's dirty clean it...carb cleaner and an old toothbrush. Be careful you don't shoot the red straw off the can into the motor. That could be ugly.

how long you in atl for?

Heading home on Monday.

Gearguy: My 2006 had a possibly related problem last week. After 1 1/2 hours of crusing on I10 at 80 (legal limit in Far West Texas), I shut it off at a rest stop. It would not restart. I turned the key to start and released it as usual in this model. The autostart feature kept the starter turning rapidly for 10 or 15 seconds, but the engine did not fire. The OAT was 100, and had been higher earlier, and I idled the engine for a minute or so in Park before I turned it off. I guess it had about 3 or 4 minutes of hot soak before I got back in and tried to start it. After three failed attempts, I opened the hood and waited for 15 minutes before trying again. It started normally after that.

I took it to the dealer, but there were no error codes stored as a clue. OregonLC is probably right about heat soak stress.

pull off the big tube going to the front of the motor. if it's dirty clean it...[STRIKE]carb cleaner[/STRIKE] Throttle body cleaner and an old toothbrush. Be careful you don't shoot the red straw off the can into the motor. That could be ugly.

how long you in atl for?

fixed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom