weird tranny problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '97 LX450 with 100k miles on it. Starting yesterday, when putting the shifter in 'D', the 'D' lights up as usual on the dash, but then the 'L' lights up also intermittently. The 'D' and the 'L' are lit at the same time. The 'L' stays lit even when the shifter is in neutral, reverse, and '2'. The PWR button is not on. The '2'nd' button is not on. The O/D button is not pushed. The fluid level looks good. Only once in a while, it revs before upshifting. I could not find anything about this 'L' thing in the shop manual. Any ideas?
Many Thanks in advance.

If the transmission is not actually shifting to low, I would believe you have yourself an electric problem. Probably inexpensive to fix, but most likely a pain in the ass.

Had a similar problem. P and D would always light together. I was lost, but my buddy (a mechanic) checked it out. He pulled the neutral safety switch, cleaned it up and re-installed. Problem solved :cheers:

Thanks, I'm hoping it's electrical. However, occasionally, it actually does seem that it is stuck in Low and will not upshift (but not all the time). If I stop the truck, turn it off then restart it, it will shift fine. Intermittent problems are never fun to figure out! Thanks for the ideas.
Chuck

Well, since the tranny seemed to think it was in low and not upshifting, I limped it to a tranny guy for a scan. He said that there was a fault in the PRNDL switch (fortunately, he did not charge for this scan), which CDan clarified that the PRNDL switch and the Neutral Safety Switch are the same thing. Also, the manual calls it the Park/Neutral Positioner. Anyway, I pulled that and cleaned the connector on both sides as MaddBaggins recommended, and all is well. I took it on a long trip yesterday with no problems. Thanks for all of your help CDan and MaddBaggins!
Chuck

D light and L light come together and transmission selects the low gear.This happens irreguarly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom