Weird sludge on backside motor plug-3FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After dropping the 62s transmission last week, I finally got a chance to pull the engine to bellhousing mount plate, or whateverthehell it’s called.
On the left side of the motor there is a hex head threaded plug, obviously a machining port for the water jacket or oil journal, probably water...anyone know for sure?
(photos below)

Anyway, the plug is covered in some off colored oily sludge looking stuff that doesn’t match the rest of the filth back there.

Looks like it could be some weeping from the water jacket and mixing with the oil leaks back there. (?) After 30 years it looks pretty minimal....anything I should be concerned about??
...or just clean it up, don’t think about it, and we’ll never speak of this again?

Back side hex plug:

BBC390A3-22DD-4AF6-BFAF-5E2A48D76EEC.jpeg

Close up:

B89E8CEE-E8F8-4432-A03D-4794D38809EB.jpeg

Same sludge on BH plate:

82F95224-AA37-433C-83ED-9057879A7FDB.jpeg

After dropping the 62s transmission last week, I finally got a chance to pull the engine to bellhousing mount plate, or whateverthehell it’s called.
On the left side of the motor there is a hex head threaded plug, obviously a machining port for the water jacket or oil journal, probably water...anyone know for sure?
(photos below)

Anyway, the plug is covered in some off colored oily sludge looking stuff that doesn’t match the rest of the filth back there.

Looks like it could be some weeping from the water jacket and mixing with the oil leaks back there. (?) After 30 years it looks pretty minimal....anything I should be concerned about??
...or just clean it up, don’t think about it, and we’ll never speak of this again?

Back side hex plug:

View attachment 2517670

Close up:

View attachment 2517671

Same sludge on BH plate:

View attachment 2517672
@Skniper were you us g any CLR or PB Baster recently?
You are a few steps ahead of me on A440F removal but that gunk looks incredibly similar to those two products when they pool in an area for a while.

@Skniper were you us g any CLR or PB Baster recently?
You are a few steps ahead of me on A440F removal but that gunk looks incredibly similar to those two products when they pool in an area for a while.

Nope, no use of those two chemicals. This stuff hasn’t seen the light of day since it was put together in Japan.
I may be out of the gate faster, but you’re gonna pass me like I’m the tortoise very soon.
Small chunks of progress at a time.

Looks like oil that's mixed with coolant and emulsified. I would drain the oil and see if there's any sign of coolant having gotten into it. If no and if the coolant looks good and neither have had varying levels over time, I'd say pull the plug (after draining), clean the inside and outside threads good, apply some thread sealer, reinstall and call it good.

Last edited:
Looks like oil that's mixed with coolant and emulsified. I would drain the oil and see if there's any sign of coolant having gotten into it. If no and if the coolant looks good and neither have had varying levels over time, I'd say pull the plug (after draining), clean the inside and outside threads good, apply some thread sealer, reinstall and call it good.

Coolant and oil are clean on mine. Thinking this is a water jacket plug, mine looks more gunky syrupy emulsified than @EscapeWagon62 plug. If it's a mix of the two, it's happening externally.

Coolant and oil are clean on mine. Thinking this is a water jacket plug, mine looks more gunky syrupy emulsified than @EscapeWagon62 plug. If it's a mix of the two, it's happening externally.
You could be right that it's a water jacket plug. Does it look like there's a galley in the casting that goes between that and the coolant drain plug on the block? Sometimes it's pretty obvious, but from the pics I can't tell for sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom