Weird power issues... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
So I've been working on my dash switches(in the ashtray), radio and such for a while, and just today i noticed a few weird things.

1. When I turned the truck on , no engine, tac went to redline, or just slightly below if the fan was on.

Am I correct in my theory, that this is either a short, sending power to the tac, or more likely power finding the path out through the ground of the tac somewhere in the harness.

I went through and unplugged everything one at a time, and the tac went down when I unplugged the backup lights it went off, Great, I know what circuit the issue is.

Then after a bit, the tac started doing it again, and I wiggled all the wiring near where I was working...

no change,

after a bit of fiddling, mostly adding connectors to wires, to run the relay to turn on and of my Battery b volt meter, Z(but not hokking it up yet) it stops again.

I then hook everything I unhooked one by one, and it didn't start again.

So are there any common shorts that cause the tac to do this? I figured it was worth asking, before I pulled everything apart to check them one by one.

on to Issue 2.

2. Before I worked on switches, I put in a new radio. Its Works great. After I started on switches, etc, I put in LED headlights, and a new pre made wiring harness, that takes power straight from the battery and uses the old drivers headlight plug to control the harness.

Now if the lights are off, my radio *(with a crappy antenna) gets static-y when the DRLs come on, and really static-y when the headlights come on.

I know to go check to see if my new wiring harness is running in parallel to the antenna wire, which is possible, I zip tied it down to look nice. Gonna check that in the AM, but if that's not it what else can I check? I kind of remembering something you can put in line on the antenna to reduce interference, would a regular ferrite choke work, I have a bunch left over from my CNC project. Or do I need a special kind of choke or other device?

Why are Led Headlights putting out so much interference? are they being dimmed by power cycling at high speed?

Thanks,

E-

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom