Weird oil change ?????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
photobucket.com
I'm just getting ready to put my 40 on the road for the summer and changed the oil for the first time in the year since I owned it. The PO was to change the oil before I picked it up and I assumed he did. The oil level was fine while it's been sitting and when I pulled the plug tonight the oil came gushing out with near the consistency of water. I don't have much for a sense of smell right now but it didn't seem to smell like fuel and was black with no obvious coolant odor or look to it. Any suggestions on why the oil may have been so runny? Could it just have been old, light weight oil or am I looking for a coolant or fuel leak? Anti-freeze is still full although a little dirty and I'm running the mechanical fuel pump in the 2F. Thanks. .....Steve

If he he used a light viscosity oil, like 10-30, yep it runs like water, and given time, and some driving that too will break down the viscosity of the oil.. I use 10-30 in my motors.. all though you really need to change it more than just once a year, even if you dont drive it a lot, your motor will last a whole lot longer if you do.. and it's the cheapest protect for it you can get.. a oil change dont cost much (dont worry I would seem the oil companies are working hard to change that too!).

Seeing your in Canada, you should probably stay with a thinner oil especially in the winter..

Probably the P.O never changed it and it's just well used. If your oil was contaminated with coolant it should have been somewhat milky.

Thanks for the info. I change the oil in my other vehicles every 5000km but I figured with this one just sitting indoors with supposedly fresh oil it woul dbe fine for a year. I had also planned on pulling the engine apart over the winter but didn't get to it so I didn't want to waste my time changing the oil before hand.

The oil looked normal although very dirty but I've never seen oil so runny before and I always use 5W in my other vehicles. I guess maybe it just lost it's viscosity over time. It sure sounds better now with heavier oil in it. ...Steve

probably not used to the size of the drain plug. I usually can't keep it all in the pan. I wish it had a smaller drain.

It's definitely a huge drain hole but the viscosity was definitely like water. Has anyone tried a Fram Sure-Drain or something like that to control the mess? I may need a bigger catch pan for this thing since mine runs in to a catcher then through a hole in to the storage tank but it couldn't keep up. ...Steve

Pour some on the ground and throw a match at it. If it flames up, theres gas in it. If not, there isnt.

just like you said check the diafram inside of the oem fuel pump.it might have a hole in it. if so through a electric on;) and yea what he said about trying to light it:D .and oh yea poke a hole in the filter and catch your oil that way:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom