Weird OEM subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Speaking of speakers... What do you guys think about these?

Amazon product ASIN B00E81RAU0

If your 2006 is like my 2002, you have dedicated woofers in the doors and dedicated tweeters up near the sail panels. You'd be better off getting a component set with a crossover and maintaining that separation, IMO.

If your 2006 is like my 2002, you have dedicated woofers in the doors and dedicated tweeters up near the sail panels. You'd be better off getting a component set with a crossover and maintaining that separation, IMO.
I literary started to search last night about my options. I have too many small projects for the truck and wanted to avoid the The Alice in Wonderland effect. LOL

I have a 2005 LX470 with ML setup...

Ours come with 3 speakers on the front doors and 2 speakers in the rear doors, right?

Front has tweeter, mid and woofer & Rear has tweeter and woofer, correct?

I suck and doing search here, but cannot find info.

You will struggle mightily to find a 3 way component set to fit the front doors AND be able to tuck the Xover networks between the door skin and the door card.

The ONLY solution I found (and installed) was the Infinity Kappa 6.5" components and added the 2" midrange hard-dome mid-range/tweeter. This system requires some slight modification to the bracket which holds the OEM midrange speaker to the door card in order for the 2" Infinity speaker to fit AND the door part that holds the power window switches etc. to install correctly.

@katit went a similar route and ran into the same install issues with the Infinity 2" midrange speaker and me. He may have insight as to how he solved the mounting issue (which is most likely far more elegant than my solution).

Note: The Infinity systems runs around 2.5ohms, so a stock OEM will probably be very unhappy. A new HU or aftermarket amp is probably the safest/only option to run those separates up front.

I literary started to search last night about my options. I have too many small projects for the truck and wanted to avoid the The Alice in Wonderland effect. LOL

I have a 2005 LX470 with ML setup...

Ours come with 3 speakers on the front doors and 2 speakers in the rear doors, right?

Front has tweeter, mid and woofer & Rear has tweeter and woofer, correct?

I suck and doing search here, but cannot find info.
Ah, you guys have 3 way up front, I'm not much help then.

You will struggle mightily to find a 3 way component set to fit the front doors AND be able to tuck the Xover networks between the door skin and the door card.

The ONLY solution I found (and installed) was the Infinity Kappa 6.5" components and added the 2" midrange hard-dome mid-range/tweeter. This system requires some slight modification to the bracket which holds the OEM midrange speaker to the door card in order for the 2" Infinity speaker to fit AND the door part that holds the power window switches etc. to install correctly.

@katit went a similar route and ran into the same install issues with the Infinity 2" midrange speaker and me. He may have insight as to how he solved the mounting issue (which is most likely far more elegant than my solution).

Note: The Infinity systems runs around 2.5ohms, so a stock OEM will probably be very unhappy. A new HU or aftermarket amp is probably the safest/only option to run those separates up front.
Solid info...

Do you mind sharing pics of the install?

I saw these last night...

Amazon product ASIN B0833D6SCV

So the trick to any of the 3 way systems is ensuring BOTH the subwoofer and midrange are not too deep. If they are, you're in for a lot more modification of door panels/metal than you'd wish.

Sorry, but I don't document sh!t when working on my rig (at least haven't in the past). Plus, the install looks completely OEM with the door cards installed. If I remember to snap a few pics the next time the door cards need to come off, I'll do so and share.

So the trick to any of the 3 way systems is ensuring BOTH the subwoofer and midrange are not too deep. If they are, you're in for a lot more modification of door panels/metal than you'd wish.

Sorry, but I don't document sh!t when working on my rig (at least haven't in the past). Plus, the install looks completely OEM with the door cards installed. If I remember to snap a few pics the next time the door cards need to come off, I'll do so and share.
LOL no worries. I've been working on my trucks for over 20 years and I never document sh1t either. :rofl:

Thanks for the information.

I really like the way this thread goes...😉
I have previously installed a set of Audison Voce K6.5 with succes. I wonder if their 3” could fit the LX470 door card...?

I really like the way this thread goes...😉
I have previously installed a set of Audison Voce K6.5 with succes. I wonder if their 3” could fit the LX470 door card...?
The issue is almost always speaker mounting depth. It is a very tight cavity back there for a midrange to mount without door card or door metal skin modification and fit behind the stock OEM grille.

Hahah, my current "elegant" solution is more elegant than yours. I have door control panel sitting 1 inch proud of door cover :)

Didn't have a chance to look at it yet. But there is no good solution there. mid speaker have to be moved period. And it won't be aligned with a grill period. Just need to figure out how to mount it. Probably hot glue..

Hahah, my current "elegant" solution is more elegant than yours. I have door control panel sitting 1 inch proud of door cover :)

Didn't have a chance to look at it yet. But there is no good solution there. mid speaker have to be moved period. And it won't be aligned with a grill period. Just need to figure out how to mount it. Probably hot glue..
Next time I remove the drivers door card, I'll snap a pic of my epic zip tie solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom