Weird noise in reverse backing up a hill ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When backing up a hill , and I stop midway , then start again , there's a screeching noise , like a band stretching if that makes sense ? What do you think ?

96 LX450, 4:56, Harrop rear, 212k smileage, 33s , etc

PXL_20211228_233153679.jpg

I see it now ... thanks !

Did tightening the kickdoen cable work? My 97 screeches like crazy, even when backing up the driveway quickly. its terrible. Thanks for any help.

Did tightening the kickdoen cable work? My 97 screeches like crazy, even when backing up the driveway quickly. its terrible. Thanks for any help.
I will let you know. I just installed the transgo kit and set the line pressure adjuster to high, along with the heavier spring. Hoping it will fix this problem. It's super annoying. One thing I have noticed is that if you put it in reverse and give it some time to shift completely it happens less. It makes me super nervous on the trail because I basically have no reverse if it will require any load at all.

Also, do you find rarely happens in 4lo? My experience is if I let it shift completely and then don’t mash it I’m usually ok and that it rarely happens in 4lo, but I will be watching to see what results you get

Also, do you find rarely happens in 4lo? My experience is if I let it shift completely and then don’t mash it I’m usually ok and that it rarely happens in 4lo, but I will be watching to see what results you get
It’s because the transmission experiences very little torque in 4 lo.

Yeah, I think this was a common issue from day one on these transmissions. Waiting a little extra after shifting to reverse (to let pressure build or something?) seems to help quite a bit. If you are really having problems, shifting to 4lo is probably the answer. I think there was a TSB about it referring to the noise as "chatter."

Read the threads in the links, been discussed many times over the past 15 years.
IME a complete fluid exchange may help, particularly if any additives have been added to the ATF to try to to fix the issue or if the wrong ATF had been added. The Transgo kit has apparently helped some people (from reading other threads).

Example: my 96 FZJ80 did this when I first got it 20 years ago, added some anti-squeal and "performance" additives, made it worse, did a few complete fluid exchanges and the issue went almost completely away. Then over time it stopped on it's own, haven't heard a reverse squeal/screech in 15 years (I test it now and then backing up an incline quickly). Transmission pan has never been dropped, now at 377,000 miles. FWIW

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom