Weird low whistling / whine / rubbing from engine increasing in pitch and frequency w/ increasing rpm -- almost sounds like a train whistle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

Getting a weird sound seeming from the engine as RPM increases. Sounds almost like a train whistle on/off again. Not the same as the usual engine whine. haven't listened under the hood while parked as I wont be home for a bit. maybe alternator going bad?

assuming it is a belt? timing belt was replaced not too long ago. does this indicate imminent breakage?

Sound can be heard here:

Thanks for any advice or caution that can be provided..

Doesn't sound like it's coming from the motor but won't know until you pop the hood and check it out.

If you suspect it's under the hood remove the serp belt and see if noise goes away. If it goes away its serp belt related if it doesn't you need to keep looking.

LOL I wish!

definitely coming from under the hood and can now easily replicate it, it's much louder w/ the hood up. doesn't seem to be obviously coming from the serpentine belt but haven't removed it to test. maybe tensioner pulley.. going to have someone who knows what they are doing look at it.

Tuned in...I'm having the same noise from about 1600rpm to 2000rpm and it goes away after a gear shift. It can be heard while stopped and in park if I rev the engine to those rpms. My guess is the fan clutch bracket but I haven't had time to investigate much further.

LOL I wish!

definitely coming from under the hood and can now easily replicate it, it's much louder w/ the hood up. doesn't seem to be obviously coming from the serpentine belt but haven't removed it to test. maybe tensioner pulley.. going to have someone who knows what they are doing look at it.
If you suspect it is engine related it will be a guessing game until you can take that belt off and spin some pulleys to test. Doesn't sound like pending doom yet, so you have some time =]

This may help

Tip for diagnosing a chirp / squeal from the engine - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tip-for-diagnosing-a-chirp-squeal-from-the-engine.1235759/

To the OP, any updates on this? Curious if you had it looked at and the diagnosis...

Last edited:
To the OP, any updates on this? Curious if you had it looked at and the diagnosis...

Serpentine belt was worn so had that and pulley tensioner replaced -- drove it home and started hearing it again so will need to continue looking :flush:

Serpentine belt was worn so had that and pulley tensioner replaced -- drove it home and started hearing it again so will need to continue looking :flush:
No need to start throwing parts at it that don't fix the problem.

When you replaced your belt, you need to spin all the pulleys to ensure they don't sounds grindy/scratchy/ or just free spin OR you can just start the motor with the belt off and see if the noise goes away.

If it doesn't go away then your problem will most likely be coming from timing belt or idlers, if it does go away then the focus is back on parts driven by the serp belt.

Any weird electrical gremlins with said whine? Sounds odd but a loose or poor ground at the battery can cause the alternator to squeal away. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom