Weird leather issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine is an LX so I can’t compare but the center console in mine is smooth. But in both LC/LX, I think the center console and lower side bolsters are not leather (plus other parts) but I have never taken my seats apart. So, not 100% which sections are vinyl.
Only the top seating surface is leather (a thin one at that!). All sides, back and center console are vinyl. At least for LX. I imagine LC wouldn't be any better!

I'm going to go with space aliens. If they can come from another galaxy they can get into a Land Cruiser and then lock it up again. What were they doing - some activity that we're not yet familiar with. We know they prefer to infiltrate rural areas. I'm guessing they saw "somewhere other than here" on a map and assumed it was rural.

Definitely did not lay anything across and not notice it. Regardless of vinyl or leather the marks are crispy to touch and showed up after not driving vehicle and parked in same place for about 4 ish days. Super strange and unless I can watch all day and recreate the same condition “the world may never know”. Lol

4ish days is an interesting clue.

I'd guess 5 days and that cloud cover or similar shade came in and interrupted the process on the 4th day, based on the burn lines. I'm guessing that each line is a different day and that the suns movement to the North caused each subsequent line to be added adjacent to the previous line. Based on the orientation of the vehicle and my guesses as to how this happen day #1 would be the uppermost line in the photos and day #5 the lowest, with the cloud interrupted day #4 the next to lowest line.

Lol theres no way the sun did this . Idc which direction you're facing. Am I missing something here ?

Lol theres no way the sun did this . Idc which direction you're facing. Am I missing something here ?
didnt you ever burn ants and start fires with a magnifying glass when you were like 9 years old....

Please tell me this is not from my bypass kit :rolleyes:
Too funny!. No and actually it's still sitting in the drawer and not installed.

following. This is a strange mystery. Do you have an OEM or aftermarket windshield? perhaps some sort of manufacturing defect in the aftermarket windsheild is my guess

following. This is a strange mystery. Do you have an OEM or aftermarket windshield? perhaps some sort of manufacturing defect in the aftermarket windsheild is my guess
Aftermarket. After the incident I put a sunshade up front. Don't know if necessary but it's there now

I am not a scientist, but did stay at a Holiday Inn once. I don't think the refractory distance from the windshield to the seat works out for this to be sunlight. Here's another example:

1682696683355.png

So for this you're talking about a distance of maybe a foot from the back glass to the seat top. That's like your magnifying glass and ants distance. For this you're looking at what, 3' from the 100 windshield to the console? Don't think that science works out. Also, the burns are different. It's either burned or not, not soft impressions with no burn like the console.

Good points @Trunk Monkey but I do think there are relevant counterpoints which keep sunlight on the table as a possible explanation for the OP's burns. Obviously we don't know at this point, but I still think sunlight is the leading explanation until more information is presented.

Counterpoints:
  • The surfaces in the OPs post appear to be vinyl and I assume that there is a heating point that could cause the smoother grooves to form without the burning/bubbling. The vinyl could hit melting point and collapse structurally and if there's tension in the surface it could pull that section out a little causing the depressions. Again, I'm not saying I know that's what happened but I think this is a possible explanation for the smooth/unburned stripes. The burned surface in the picture you shared also appears to be cloth, not smooth vinyl, and the photo is less zoomed in so we can't easily compare them. I'd guess that at the edges of the burned stripes in your picture that there is melting damage that is just harder to see in that photo but comparable to what we see in the OPs photos.
  • The distances involved are going to vary based on what's concentrating the light, reflection points, etc. There isn't really a fixed distance that applies unless all parts of the system are essentially the same. We also don't know if this is from windshield, sunroof, door glass, suction cups, an empty glass, or...? We also don't know if mirrors are involved, etc. but all of these details could change the distances and angles required to achieve melting and/or burning.
Fun discussion and I hope the OP can do some tests and clear this up for all of us :)

I'm resting my case on these burns in particular, an external source burn wouldn't create raised marks on either side of the impression.

View attachment 3309675
I think it’s still the Sun. The raised areas you’re referring to look like heat was applied just not focused enough to burn, in the other areas (where it almost looks like weld beads) the point of light was focused/hot enough to actually burn.

Back in the 70's there was a famous incident in my neighborhood. A girl's Ford Maverick was totaled sitting in her driveway by a fire that started in the back seat and caught the cloth upholstery on fire.

The cause was determined to be the chrome wheel of the bicycle that was in the back seat acting as a lens and focusing sun rays on the seat material.

Strange things happen.

I did auto upholstery in Arizona for 7-8 years and never saw anything like this. Super strange.

What direction was it facing when parked?

Unfortunately it rained most of the weekend so unable to visually see if there was anything from the sun. It is the most bizzare thing I have seen in my 51+ years. Aliens... ha. Will be keeping an eye out but it's probably like BigFoot... LOL

I did auto upholstery in Arizona for 7-8 years and never saw anything like this. Super strange.

What direction was it facing when parked?
Facing east.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom