Weird idle has me stumped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive searched most of the weird idle threads but none sound like whats going on with me truck.

My truck runs awesome but sometimes it idles at 400rpm. When it does it misses like crazy. Sometimes it idles at 800rpm, when it does that it misses, but not bad. It does this whenever, doesnt matter, cold hot, city or highway driving.

It never ever does the high idle when cold. Today i was playing around with the throttle and i noticed that when its idling around 800rpm, if i pull the throttle linkage towards the drivers side (closing it) it idles at the 400 rpm. So it seems that the throttle is sometimes going to a more closed state than others. What could cause that. I wouldnt think that the TPS would have anything to do with that.

What do yall think.

Will

a crack in the intake tube or maybe some dirt on the throttle body surface might be keeping it from shutting all the way. is throttle cable in good shape do you have a catch on roughness in it movement. maybe a cracked or loose vaccum line try spraying some carb cleaner around the bottom of the intake tube and throttle body to see if the rpms change any.

I had the throttle body off not long ago. It was super clean. Cable seems good but i have a spare one here, ill change it out.

Im guessing if the throttle cable is sticking it could keep me from correctly adjusting it? That makes good sense to me.

Thanks for the advice.

Im guessing if the throttle cable is sticking it could keep me from correctly adjusting it? That makes good sense to me.

Sure sounds exactly that simple to me.

If you can cure the symptom by manually closing the throttle, then the problem must be that for whatever reason, the throttle's not always closing completely.

Manually closing the throttle completely causes the problem, not cures it. So with that said. I need a new cable AND i need to adjust the idle. How do i adjust the idle. I have the FSM, ill read that part today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom