weird fuel injection prob. in 96 golf (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
In order to start my girlfriends golf you have to push the gas pedal to the floor and turn the key and wait till it fires then let go.. it won't fire up any other way. this is odd to me because its fuel injected, why would this be?

it runs perfectly fine otherwise, idles fine goes through RPM's just fine its just this starting problem...

Guess #1:
Something related to the throttle position sensor where it might read that the it was "open" when it's not. By putting it on the floor you'd be allowing enough air to get through to get it started.

Guess #2:
I don't know a whole lot about fuel injection but could the injectors be leakin and effectivly getting too much fuel to the combustion chamber while it sits? This would explain why you wouldn't really see a change in driving manors just maybe a drop in gas mileage.

Do you have a check engine light?
Chris

her electronics in it are alittle on the fritz, the only check engine light on is for her cooling system and air bags...

I wouldn't know where to start looking under the hood of that car.

Real quick check, take the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and check for fuel in the hose. I'm not familiar with VW's but if It's the 2.0 8 Valve, the regulator should be on the fuel rail and to the left of the intake runners. Real easy fix and a dead ringer for hard starts like you described. Hope that helps and keep us posted.

sounds like a tps problem...and there could be codes in the computer even if the check engine light isnt on, but since thats obdII you'd need a scantool to pull them out

if the cooling system light is on it might be low on coolant:doh:

leaking injectors or fuel psi reg are good possibilities too;p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom