Weird Electrical Problem - any ideas where to start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi -

I took my 1983 FJ40 off a trailer and now the wipers, horn and turn signals do not work. Fuses are good. Hazards are good. My next step is to directly test the horn and wipers to make sure they are good.

Anyone ever encounter this? Is there some common thread to these three Items? Any advice before I start poking around would be wonderful.

Thank you!

Check all your grounds. There is something loose is my guess.

Even though the fuses look good, the contacts on the fuse block may need cleaning. Oxidation over time will not allow the fuse to actually make contact.

That's a wierd mixture. Your wipers should sit on their own fuse, and the horn should share a fuse with the stop lights and Hazards.
Turn signal also had their own fuse.

Your Hazards work, and so do the stop lights I guess?

Id check the harness under the truck to see if it was damaged on the trailer firstly - this could have caused some melting throughout the harness.

Was the truck pushed onto the trailer by hand? Someone has maybe disturbed your fuse box ( handy place to push with the door open).
Reseat all the connectors and ground, and check fuses - often they look OK but are broken inside the metal cap.

Very unlikely that three things suddenly died together.

Check the connectors near the horn relay too (engine bay firewall where the harness pops through)

That's a wierd mixture. Your wipers should sit on their own fuse, and the horn should share a fuse with the stop lights and Hazards.
Turn signal also had their own fuse.

Your Hazards work, and so do the stop lights I guess?

Id check the harness under the truck to see if it was damaged on the trailer firstly - this could have caused some melting throughout the harness.

Was the truck pushed onto the trailer by hand? Someone has maybe disturbed your fuse box ( handy place to push with the door open).
Reseat all the connectors and ground, and check fuses - often they look OK but are broken inside the metal cap.

Very unlikely that three things suddenly died together.

Check the connectors near the horn relay too (engine bay firewall where the harness pops through)
Good advice…keep you posted…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom