Weird electrical issue - 1989 FJ-70 Voltage Regulator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

grayfj62turd

SILVER Star
Threads
OK - all electrical issues are weird. This one is a major PITA. I had a local mechanic replace an alternator in the beast because the battery was not charging. No big deal right? After replacing the alternator, he discovered the voltage regulator was bad as well. OK - replace it too. After replacing the voltage regulator, he said that the regulator was shocking him when he touched it after installation. He jerry-rigged a way to attach the regulator to the engine bay with rubber stilts. I had enough - time to cut and run. Obviously, there is a short in the system because when properly attached, the battery dash light and the air cleaner warning light stays on.

I've tried to run the wires one at a time but I'm not doing something right. Can't find the source of the problem. Anyone have some thoughts other than take it to a real LC mechanic? The wiring harness is pretty brittle and there is a big chance the wires are burnt somewhere.

Can new wires be run next to the existing harness for a direct line to the battery and bypass the harness?

The alt and reg can be wired up and charge / function independent of the harness . Not sure what effect that would have on the dash / air cleaner warning lights.
It would be better if you can suss out the problem with the degrading harness. As you say, this can be a PITA. A good auto electrician might be able to find the problem with the harness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom