Weird distributor issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So every 2 or 3 times I drive the cruiser it starts to run rough: sputtering while accelerating and feeling like it might stall. I take off the distributor cap and there is a spot of oily substance dead center on the rotor. I wipe off the oily stuff and it returns to running great. Anyone have any idea what this stuff is and where it's coming from??

image-3252166322.jpg
image-3252166322.jpg

So every 2 or 3 times I drive the cruiser it starts to run rough: sputtering while accelerating and feeling like it might stall. I take off the distributor cap and there is a spot of oily substance dead center on the rotor. I wipe off the oily stuff and it returns to running great. Anyone have any idea what this stuff is and where it's coming from??

View attachment 718309

That stuff is from that graphite part in the distributor cap, have a close look if all the contact surfaces are clean and look for cracks in the cap.

Maybe just get a new one and be fine, that graphite does not have eternal life.

Huh, ok thanks. It is a new cap, but maybe I got a bad one. They're cheap, so maybe I'll try another one.

Huh, ok thanks. It is a new cap, but maybe I got a bad one. They're cheap, so maybe I'll try another one.

Its a new one.........wow, maybe cracked somewhere......have a look at nighttime for sparks.
Go with some sandpaper along the edges of the rotor and check wires for sparks, WD40 only on the outside please, the carbon/graphite contactor does not like it.

Thanks guys! I splurged on a new cap and it's running great. I didn't know a distributor cap could wear out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom