weird crankshaft bolt problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need help!

Did the oil pump gasket and a valve cover gasket. After which the I had no Oil pressure, no Power Steering pressure.

So decided I needed to tighten the Crank bolt.

Turning the bolt it will only get so tight, then loosens, then tight for a couple rotations, then loose, Just like a stripped bolt acts.

Pulled the bolt and examined it, and the inside threads, and as far as I can tell there is no damage!

It kind of sounds (put my ear to the valve cover) like it's moving fluid as I crank on it, but the pulley isn't moving (held tight by chain wrench)

Is it possible the crank shaft but not the pulley is moving? What the F? I'm at a lose and am dreading tearing this thing apart again

mmmm maybe I'll check right now... Thanks for the thread

I did something wrong I have the valve cover off and when I crank the bolt the timing chain is moving, but not the pulley. Crap I probably broke something...

Could the pulley not be locked to the crankshaft??

so let me get this right, you can turn the crank nut the timing chain is moving but the pulley is not? Have you checked to see that the key is in the crankshaft?
timing chain 003 (Medium).jpg

You need to pull the pulley again to make sure you did not lose the little metal key that goes in the channel in the crank shaft which the pulley slides over and locks it to the shaft.
If that key is not in there the crank will spin inside the pulley and the pulley will not spin if I got that correct.

i thought i had a picture of the timing gear sliding over the key on the crankshaft, but i don't. Sorry.

As you probably already know, if you do not get the proper torque on the crank nut, the oil pump will not turn properly. Pretty interesting design.

I'm waiting for a pulley puller now to look for the key.

Yes It's an automatic.

You need a pulley?

I don't know anyone that has required one, are you sure you can't knock it off by hand?

That looks like I wrenched on it :hillbilly:

Man that sux.. but coulda been worse I guess.

Did you need the puller? Or does it come out without one?

Needed the puller. but with it, it slipped right off

So what could have happened, key get in sideways then tightening the bolt causing the pulley to fracture?? Got photos of the missing/broken piece, key, and end of crankshaft? Sorry that happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom