Weird cigarette lighter power antenna issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my alternator regulator broke and over charged and messed up some stuff in my 99 LC. My horn was just some ghost business and I ended up bypassing it and just wiring in a new button because it wasn’t worth it anymore to trace it. My next issue is my cigarette lighter and power antenna. So neither of them work. The fuses are good and have been replaced anyway. When I took the power antenna relay out I noticed a small discoloring one on part of it, but not overtly burned. My question is can a fried power antenna relay cause the cigarette lighter to also not work? I think I log it just try to bypass the relay if that’s the case unless I can get a cheap one from a part out here on the forums. I would post a picture of the relay but I didn’t think to take one and I put it back together for inspection soon.

More background: the stock head unit stopped working when the alternator did this and I assumed it was fried so I put in an after marker one. Does having an aftermarket head unit nullify the antenna control? Is there something else I am not aware of? That’s the most probable answer.

Last edited:
It sounds like there might be more going on here than just the overcharging. Do you have any water intrusion issues around your driver side footwell fuse box? Are your sunroof drains clear, the tray isn't sitting full of water?

How did you wire up the aftermarket head unit? Did you use something like a metra harness adapter, or did you cut off the factory connector and splice? Most newer head units don't have a separate antenna control wire like the older ones did, there should be a wire in your truck side harness that triggers your antenna relay, if that isn't connected, then your antenna won't power up and down.

I seem to remember last time I looked at my 99 LX FSM that the cigarette lighter and head unit had at least one fuse in common, I'd make sure all your fuses are good, your fuse box is dry, and however you wired up your new head unit didn't create any shorts or intermittent connections and go from there.

Thanks for the reply. Everything is dry. Head unit and antenna didn’t work prior to replacing the head unit. I replaced the cigarette lighter fuse even though it wasn’t damaged. I found a used relay on eBay so I’m going to try that I guess. I used the factory harness when I installed the new head unit.

This post may help explain 99 model cig lighter, head unit, HVAC control lighting with Fuse #34. I run with my power antenna relay disconnected, so I can't say whether if it had any impact.

This post may help explain 99 model cig lighter, head unit, HVAC control lighting with Fuse #34. I run with my power antenna relay disconnected, so I can't say whether if it had any impact.

Ordered an AISIN replacement from Cruiser Outfitters. Good price and helps a vendor/sponsor.

Well after farthing messing around I have some lower HVAC control lights. I replaced them all with LEDs so maybe so I ****ed that up. The fuses are fine. Cigarette lighter still doesn’t work but there’s a green light on inside when the headlights are on. Not sure if that’s connected to the same circuit or not. I don’t understand why the cigarette lighter won’t work or the power antenna. I have a new antenna relay coming so maybe that will fix it? Who knows.

Well after farthing messing around I have some lower HVAC control lights. I replaced them all with LEDs so maybe so I f***ed that up. The fuses are fine. Cigarette lighter still doesn’t work but there’s a green light on inside when the headlights are on. Not sure if that’s connected to the same circuit or not. I don’t understand why the cigarette lighter won’t work or the power antenna. I have a new antenna relay coming so maybe that will fix it? Who knows.
There is a fusible link on the cig lighter that can blow rendering it unusable. BRB with a picture.

Here's a cig lighter with a blown fusible link. Its the withered up grey wire.

1639311345019.png

Here's a cig lighter with a good fusible link.

1639311403691.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom