weird blinker sitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trapper50cal

TEQ Frame of Mind
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I recently had some body work done and had to replace a rear driverside taillight assembly. I did not buy the expensive OEM one and went with an aftermarket model. After installation I noticed that with headlights off, everything is hunky dory but once the driving lights or headlights are on, everything works, but the blinker blinks really really fast. I have seen this when one (front or back) is out but not when everything is working....What gives?

It could be a difference in the aftermarket light bulbs. The OEM blinker switch is mechanical. It works using something like a bimetal switch that switches on/off based on the current draw. When one light is out, the current draw is less, so the switch blinks faster. I would think that if your new bulb uses less current then it would cause the blinker to go faster. At one extreme are LED bulbs. These typically don't draw enough current to make the blinker work, so you have to replace the mechanical blinker switch with an electronic one.

When the flasher blinks fast, it is an indication (no pun intended) that there is too much current flow through the circuit.

Question: Does the rapid blinking only occur on one side or both directions?

1) Double check the operation of the rear lights to make sure they all work correctly, including the brake lamp. Watch carefully for current bleed or cross feeding of the lamps. When the current is allowed to pass through more than one bulb, the current flow rate increases, and the flasher cycles faster.
2) Check your bulbs carefully to make sure they are the correct PN and are installed correctly.
3) Swap sides with the bulbs to see if the problem goes with the bulbs.

I think you will find a simple solution: wrong bulb installed, incorrect wiring, ect. If the problem is occuring on both sides, it is probably the flasher unit.

Rick

It could be a difference in the aftermarket light bulbs. The OEM blinker switch is mechanical. It works using something like a bimetal switch that switches on/off based on the current draw. When one light is out, the current draw is less, so the switch blinks faster. I would think that if your new bulb uses less current then it would cause the blinker to go faster. At one extreme are LED bulbs. These typically don't draw enough current to make the blinker work, so you have to replace the mechanical blinker switch with an electronic one.

Sorry, low current flow slows down the bi-metal spring deflection and cycle rate. Try it sometime: take out a bulb and watch the cycle rate. Some cars don't flash at all with a bulb out.

Rick

It only...

It only happens on the repaired side and all lights are working correctly...reverse, brakes, blinker...just really fast when headlights are on. I will check the bulbs. On a sidenote, I have an arb bumper with secondary indicators and with the headlights off, they blink in unison with the stock indicators and with headlights on, they alternate with the stock ones.

Sorry, low current flow slows down the bi-metal spring deflection and cycle rate. Try it sometime: take out a bulb and watch the cycle rate. Some cars don't flash at all with a bulb out.

Rick

From the FSM. An "open circuit" is the same as a burnt out or removed bulb, yes?
turn signal flasher.JPG

2mbb,

Good stuff there! Is the connector depicted in the test the connector to the flasher? If so, a 3 wire flasher circuit operates differently than a 2 wire flasher, which was the basis of my recommendations.

If you would'nt mind, please post a picture of the complete 3 wire flasher circuit so I can see what the FSM test is accomplishing. I would like to understand the basis of the test and what the pins are.

I apologise to you and Trapper50cal if there was any confusion resulting from my posts.

Rick

The connector shown in the picture above is the flasher. The test is a test procedure for the flasher. Below is the wiring diagram for the turn signals.
turn signal circuit.JPG

not to..

Not to interrupt you two....(jk) but I took the cheap looking bulbs out of the aftermarket taillight assembly and replaced them with the undamaged bulbs in the original taillight and all is WELL!!!! Thanks guys. Thread solved!

:bounce::steer::bounce:
:beer::beer::beer:

mbb,

The schematic showing the turn signal circuit is informative. I now see that the flasher is controlling the ground side of the relay coils through a seperate ground connection. Not at all like a 2 wire flasher that is in series and grounds through the bulbs.

You were completely right. Thanks for being great about this and setting me straight. I'll be sure to ask more questions before spouting off next time!

Rick

howdy! kindof reviving an older thread, but i've got an 88 fj62. problem is the rear drivers' side blinker stays on, when the headlights are on. It does work as a turn signal when needed, but stays on solid otherwise when the headlights are on. I have changed out both rear blinker bulbs. Also the left turn signal indicator light stays on when the truck is running. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for a response.

so, i gots it all figured out. it was two wires grounding out in the bundle behind the tail-light assembly. it was an easy fix with some electrical tape! woohoo! too, the taillighs work off of the green wire with the white strip and grey patches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom