Weird ‘71 steering gear? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got my first FJ40 and it has excessive play in the steering.
went to go adjust it, and low and behold there is no adjustment screw. The lock nut is there but where the adjuster screw is supposed to be it just has a square 10mm bolt! It doesn’t adjust, just loosens and tightens.
what in the world am I looking at?

I just got my first FJ40 and it has excessive play in the steering.
went to go adjust it, and low and behold there is no adjustment screw. The lock nut is there but where the adjuster screw is supposed to be it just has a square 10mm bolt! It doesn’t adjust, just loosens and tightens.
what in the world am I looking at?
PO strikes again.

Buy a silver star and post pix at will... Seems like you're gonna need it.

Mine looks like this, which the site sells it states its correct For my year.
I acquired a Haynes manual and this doesn’t look like the pictures in the Haynes.

1A915B96-A4D1-460D-BE34-81EE610CCA41.png

I acquired a Haynes manual and this doesn’t look like the pictures in the Haynes.

View attachment 2765660
The one piece box/column was used until Aug of 1972. They switched to the 2 piece column 9/72 for the 73 model year.

The splines on the column for the steering wheel change from 36 to 33 7/69. If you replace your column/ gear box make sure you get the right one as decent steering wheels can get expensive.

*edited to reflect @Living in the Past ’s immense cruiser knowledge.

Last edited:

View attachment 2765660
PM me your address, I’ve got the box i hacked for our 72 and i’ll send you the adjuster screw if i can find it.

The one piece box/column was used until September of 1972. They switched to the 2 piece column 10/72 for the 73 model year.

The splines on the column for the steering wheel change to 33 somewhere in 70? 71ish? If you replace your column/ gear box make sure you get the right one as decent steering wheels can get expensive.

The change was actually 9/72 to the 73 Model. Steering wheel spline went from 36 to 33 7/69.

PM me your address, I’ve got the box i hacked for our 72 and i’ll send you the adjuster screw if i can find it.

Sounds like the hex lock nut is missing. This adjustment just puts tension on the sector shaft. . There shims on the sector shaft that can be removed to sector more under the steering shaft worm gear. This takes the play out as the box wears.

Same as any other. Loosen lockdown nut, turn center adjuster for your desired feel and tighten nut.

I appreciate the help. I suppose it would do to point out that this is my first FJ40, and have NEVER worked on cars. Always drove new till I retired and just got this.
i figure better late than never, as far as learning a vehicle.

Read you book. Make sure front tires are off the ground when doing adjustments.

Read you book. Make sure front tires are off the ground when doing adjustments.
Thanks. This poor girls got some weirdo stuff done to her, but she drives great! I just found two big flat washers shimming up one side of the steering box!
i assume it’s to accommodate for the ridiculous 4 in. Body lift
(which has to go)

Thanks. This poor girls got some weirdo stuff done to her, but she drives great! I just found two big flat washers shimming up one side of the steering box!
i assume it’s to accommodate for the ridiculous 4 in. Body lift
(which has to go)

Those shims are in there from the factory nd nothing to do with a lift. From the factory they sector shaft is not centered under the worm gear. As the parts wear removing the shims locates the sector closer to center take slop out the box.

I would also check the toe in plus the caster if it doesn't have stock springs and shackles.

Those shims are in there from the factory nd nothing to do with a lift. From the factory they sector shaft is not centered under the worm gear. As the parts wear removing the shims locates the sector closer to center take slop out the box.

I would also check the toe in plus the caster if it doesn't have stock springs and shackles.
So you think if I pull one of those washer shims out it might help me pull in some of that steering slop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom