Builds Weenie 3 - Bringing another 40 back from the dead (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To me it helps doing things in phases. I like to see progress and completion along the way.

One reason I kept up with the hours is also to show people what happens when they buy an old junk Cruiser and drop it off at a shop then flip out when they get a $9,000 bill on labor alone.

Looks rad man, been following this one on the 'gram. Nice to find the build thread.

Tell me a bit more about the Lizard Skin is it rubbery? I have used some Raptor liner and loved it but it wasn't on a floor and came out really tough and stiff, not rubbery at all. How's the application process, the Raptor liner really impressed me with it's ease of use and outcome.

Rad Cruiser man. It looks like a fun rig to bounce around in.

Looks rad man, been following this one on the 'gram. Nice to find the build thread.

Tell me a bit more about the Lizard Skin is it rubbery? I have used some Raptor liner and loved it but it wasn't on a floor and came out really tough and stiff, not rubbery at all. How's the application process, the Raptor liner really impressed me with it's ease of use and outcome.

Rad Cruiser man. It looks like a fun rig to bounce around in.

Yes it is a rubber type coating. It’s not strong like Bed liner but it had acoustic dampening properties. I lay it on thick. It is sprayed on and it does not drip or run or splatter with their gun. I can shoot it under the body with little prep as far as tape and cover ups.

Boom!

Everything now works. My fan blower sounds like a dying animal but it blows hard.

I took it apart and nothing looks out of sorts. Anyone have any idea what would make it so loud?

I am always surprised when people say they do not have time to work on their rigs. You can see from your hours that it is really not that much time. Almost two full work weeks or 7 one day weekends to really turn things around and make a big difference. I always try to make a list of what I want to do and then figure out what parts I need and where to get them from. A notebook really helps with this. Then it is just a matter of where to start.

Great job getting this done quickly and keeping it real!

same. I work 12 hour shifts, and my cruiser is coming along! its possible. @wngrog love your cruisers. I love how they look old but you give them their good bones back! wish I could of had nice patina on mine. but alas…. there where to many ground spots in the paint..

Oh its a squirrel cage al right. Looks great , Red's new grocery getter.

It sounds like the squirrel cage is rubbing on something.

I pulled it apart and the cage was clean. I’ve had dirt dauber nests in there.

Took the top of the motor off and the magnets and copper all looked good too.

I’ll go back to the cage again.

Connect it to 12v with cage out of housing. If no noise, it has to do with it touching housing. Otherwise in shaft/motor.

Are your front lights flashing in an alternating pattern or was that an illusion?

I am always surprised when people say they do not have time to work on their rigs. You can see from your hours that it is really not that much time. Almost two full work weeks or 7 one day weekends to really turn things around and make a big difference. I always try to make a list of what I want to do and then figure out what parts I need and where to get them from. A notebook really helps with this. Then it is just a matter of where to start.

Great job getting this done quickly and keeping it real!
To me it helps doing things in phases. I like to see progress and completion along the way.

One reason I kept up with the hours is also to show people what happens when they buy an old junk Cruiser and drop it off at a shop then flip out when they get a $9,000 bill on labor alone.

Same story here - I try to set up projects that I can knock out in a month of sporadic nights and weekends. I move at a snail’s pace - so if I tore the truck down to the frame I’d never get to enjoy it. I probably fall somewhere between “I can’t find time” and “I can dedicate 70+ hours...”

Plus - before I owned this rig all I’d ever done on a car was change the oil...so I spend more time reading mud/researching repairs than I do actually fixing things. Even then, I wind up doing things twice...

Glad to see you cranking this one out. Serious progress!

@USMC22 , @Texican and @FJ60Cam are my level 1 search engines. I use “search” after I exhaust them or if they don’t answer in 5 minutes

Boom!

Everything now works. My fan blower sounds like a dying animal but it blows hard.

I took it apart and nothing looks out of sorts. Anyone have any idea what would make it so loud?

a bad bearing that is about to grenade itself.

For me it’s the process, including learning and experimenting, not making money, or a business. If it had to be going at the gitgo, I’d buy it that way.

Belated birthday wishes, it would appear as though you have everything necessary, color wise😎, which is a blessing. Cheers!

Last edited:
I took the top off yesterday and did not see a bearing. I need to look again.
On either end of the motor, inside the motor, should be two bearings. One that supports each end of the rotating shaft.

what I’m telling you is based on generic motor design, not specific knowledge of the motor you are dealing with. Sometimes the bearings are plastic bushings, sometimes traditional bearings. The noise on the video sounds like a bearing failure to me. Often loud unusual noise from a fan motor are attributable to bearings. Due to age of the motor, that would be my leading suspect. The motor may not be a serviceable part, but often you can replace the bearings if you can access them.

hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom