Builds Weenie 3 - Bringing another 40 back from the dead (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And then I saw no oil coming out of the rockers so I checked the dissy and it was seated.
D93CC96C-C41A-4A59-B3DB-15311BBC771D.jpeg

Since that looked good I just fired it back up and let it run and sho nuff it finally came to life.

I let it run and burn off the 2 quarts of oil I spilled trying to fill the motor without the valve cover on.
It all looked good and the oil ended up starting to flow pretty good so I buttoned it up.
That’s a HUGE win.

BDCB98B3-5C8D-44CA-A4F1-E30B34929DEF.jpeg

I need an exhaust donut but the manifold sounds good. I adjusted the timing.
It’s humming along nicely. Hopefully I can get back on it later in the week

Damn, we gonna upgrade you from parts changer to mechanic-in-training!!!!
I’m just glad that pretty carburetor only needed a hammer. I’m damn good with a hammer.

Next thing I need to figure out is why I have no power to anything. No lights. No wipers. No blower fan.
Power is good on 12v and switched 12 on both sides of the fuse box and to the back of the cluster but nothing works except the Ignition.
This big ole diagram came in today, maybe I can figure it out.

7E015A29-865D-4CC7-9849-6C8874EA858E.jpeg

Don't forget 12V power is only half the equation. You must have ground connections for anything to work.

Don't forget 12V power is only half the equation. You must have ground connections for anything to work.

you are 100% right. With it all being dead I’ll bet the body has a poor ground.

I was able to spend some time on Weenie 3 today. First thing I did was redo all the main grounds and add some.

I individually tested all the lights, horn and blower with a jump wire.

Good.

I added a new ground from battery to motor.

Battery to fender.

Motor to firewall.

Power to the fuse box. Both sides. Hot and switched 12.

0BB62FD7-B0C2-4C00-B5B6-BFAFAEE0ED95.jpeg
6B2FC575-8249-453D-81DE-6A65B3A2E642.jpeg

I was still not getting anything to the switches so I pulled the fuse box and cleaned it up good.
Reinstalled it and mostly have lights now. There are some little oddball things going on but they work.
Win.
The problem now, since I removed the fuse box my ignition is spotty. It will crank and run and if I wiggle the plug on the fuse box it dies.
I went ahead and ordered a new one from @Racer65 Hopefully that will fix all this

This thing was leaking out of the clutch master like crazy so I bought a new set and replaced them.

I have a good pedal now but I still don’t know if the clutch is good.
E8E3582D-EAB6-4945-829C-16EFAA3C7E8F.jpeg

I’m at that crossroads mentally.
If it was
Something I was going to keep I would 1000% replace the clutch now. Interior is out. It’s a 3 speed so it’s fairly light.
But damn. That’s a lot of work. I’m leaning toward going ahead with the clutch though. I assumed the position to do it. Now I need to talk myself into it.
2753127E-DE50-4A22-9A6A-40744D661E53.jpeg

This is why all my trucks have way more spent on them than they are worth.......

Since pulling the transmission is in my future, and you’ve probably done this a couple times - do you always pull the interior and transmission hump and go in from the top or have you done it from underneath? If so - any preference?

I’m kicking myself because all of this was out of my way last year - now I have a nice fresh interior I might need to pull (again) because I tripped and fell on a H41 that I “needed.”

Swap in a 4spd?!

Not I. It’s actually pretty involved. I just did one with a friend and it’s not super simple. Lots involved.

A 3 on the floor is a nice little driver. The next owner can do a 4 speed if they want.

Since pulling the transmission is in my future, and you’ve probably done this a couple times - do you always pull the interior and transmission hump and go in from the top or have you done it from underneath? If so - any preference?

I’m kicking myself because all of this was out of my way last year - now I have a nice fresh interior I might need to pull (again) because I tripped and fell on a H41 that I “needed.”

I do it from below, on ramps with a transmission jack. Having the tranny hump off makes it much easier.

Way to go wngrog! These threads are a total inspiration. If you get bored I know of a 1960 FJ25 that could use some rustoration...:hmm:

I got these beautiful covers for the seats and when I took the seats apart the bottoms were so rusted I could not make them work.

Sooooooo........I had to source a new set of 74+ seats in good condition. Not easy. Not cheap.

Worth it in the end. @Cruiser Corps makes these things super easy to install and snug.

24FB8F22-14EC-45CC-8147-FE72435C4E5B.jpeg

Today was my birthday so I spent the day undisturbed playing with Weenie 3 all day.

I got 7 hours in

Seats. Done.
Fuel Tank cleaned and treated.
Fuel Tank cover cleaned and rust converted.
Instrument cluster cleaned and new speedo cable
Tranny hump patched
Interior cleaned and patched and final coating of rust converter before I do the floor areas (only) with Lizard Skin

4DDC4D10-49B8-4AE1-A3D8-2FFBBBA0AA0B.jpeg

91B920F6-0100-4389-AE09-1E13E9DC5433.jpeg

7E5466AA-090E-4B4B-9AFB-C875A02D29C0.jpeg

4756627C-E99F-4ABA-B766-14F6BB85282E.jpeg

8D4DF9EF-D432-472A-9412-85C4E8DAF892.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom