Builds Weenie 3 - Bringing another 40 back from the dead (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lol I initially thought you were trying to put that rocket box on backwards on the pig from the second pic. Maybe that’s what Pig thought too.

yeah that would really wreck the aerodynamics of my setup 😄

Phase 3 started before I was able to start putting the engine back together.

I decided to pump out the gas in the tank. It was added when the truck was rescued but it had a bit of a rust color to it.

Im glad I did because it was a disaster under there

807C7BE5-808F-4E22-9DA0-2A019FF85F83.jpeg

I was holding my breath over this thing on the floor expecting a huge rust hole. So stoked this is all it was.

1AE7DF04-2706-4F89-B030-9ABC415EC02E.jpeg

A540353B-ABC1-4684-A958-DCD1D97B7660.jpeg

This is another win. A little rust and a few small holes. I’ll coat all of this with rust converter and I’m going to lay down a nice coat of Lizard Skin seeing some dope already slopped some weird green paint in there

292860B0-2BAE-4417-A2C3-02B42F13DCE0.jpeg

This is going to look so good.......

CCD4B276-77AC-46DF-83BD-7692E8FC7495.jpeg

Thanks Mike @Cruiser Corps for the quick turn-around on these seat covers and other parts

DFC7FFD1-1756-4D2B-85E5-86F3311D9112.jpeg

@wngrog,

When cleaning the engine bay - how is zep/CLR applied and washed off? Power washer, or something less aggressive? I’m always paranoid of pressure around all the seals, wires, and carburation...

@wngrog,

When cleaning the engine bay - how is zep/CLR applied and washed off? Power washer, or something less aggressive? I’m always paranoid of pressure around all the seals, wires, and carburation...

I never worry much about it. I pressure wash my engines even when they are all wired up.

in this case, there is nothing there that can get hurt by water.

Looking great dude! Who paints a 40 avacado green? lol

So many questions, so few answers.
All I can guess is that it started rusting and they slopped paint on it. Whatever paint they had at the farm.

I'll never get Previous Owners and 40's...Alas My parents were guilty of being the Previous Owner on a 40 we had around 79~81. It was dune beige (or a yucky tan as my mom put it) so they painted it a baby blue and had that awful purply tint as well. I was just a wee lad so I scarcely remember it, but I do remember just a few years ago when my mom told me they were the ones who painted it....my own family had POM syndrome. Previous Owner Modification Syndrome. 🤣 I hope it's not hereditary...although sometimes I do get the urge to wire something useless in from radio shack with scotch-locks.

Ha ha they are worth what they are worth!

True. I tend to spend more than some but I’m trying to watch it so this one does not hurl itself out of the sweet spot.

When I bought my 72 in ~95, it hadn’t been registered since 1986 iirc. It had no carb or exhaust.
Specter supplied the carb and the dealer, the exhaust.
Changed the gas and oil, fired right up!
Will be following this thread closely, hopefully might get to come east if I play my cards right (and can sell my Sequoia in time).

Before I left town for the Southern Swine Soirée i hosed everything down real good with Rust Converter from www.theruststore.com

As I say in my Preserving Patina thread, make sure whatever you spray this on, you are OK with the rust turning black. I hosed this area down good as it will be getting a couple small patches before getting fully coated with Lizard Skin.

just the floor area though where Mats and seats will cover it up. Im not a fan of the looks of textured liner but the sound and heat results I’ve gotten from this product are so good it’s worth it

90B0DD3B-095E-4C76-803E-022B91F77B69.jpeg

Red is out of town and I only have a morning meeting tomorrow so I’m planning on getting this sucker put back together pretty good tomorrow.

Engine bay day was mostly a success.
8BB0BAE8-19E0-4B33-9149-4021C3B93244.jpeg

I replaced all the hoses and clamps with OE style. Had to get a used thermostat housing. The other fell apart.

OE gaskets and lots of Indian Head to make sure the seals are tight
281BB318-78D0-4938-B24E-C07B0A2FFC5F.jpeg

864D1BAA-5F56-49E1-AA58-366ACAC8023D.jpeg

Had to replace the radiator with a good used OE unit.
8DC176B1-4623-4551-BF5D-0EE885A57248.jpeg

Got the manifold cleaned up a bit.
798FFD54-F07D-487A-B9B2-CD2737CE0A24.jpeg

New belt and all new rubber radiator supports.

I did a cold valve check. All is good there. Should sound OK when it cranks

1B13936D-EE34-4086-B8AD-0768DB456101.jpeg

I installed a new City Racer carb on a later model isolator that had the heat shield trimmed. The mechanisms were hitting the PCV pipe on the 74 base. Bent the fuel line to fit the front intake (OE is on the side)

5CEFEA60-73B3-4440-BF61-6E15FF1EB1D0.jpeg

Next I installed the new battery in the OE tray from @Cruiser Corps
The coil and ingitor had been removed so I installed a DUI with Live Wires

8BA6841B-35D4-4B2B-A916-67F1CA2B7A24.jpeg

Last edited:
I changed the oil and filled the radiator.

I am going to be busy the next 3 days with work and building a haunted house for Saturday so I decided to give it a try late in the day.

I have all new soft fuel lines installed and cleaned out the hard lines

I stuck one end into a OEM gas can and then I tried it after checking to make sure I had spark. I was kind of guessing on how to wire up the DUI but I think I got it right because the spark tester was lighting up.

Pay attention to the carburetor once the fuel pump finally primed

I was encouraged briefly that the engine started to fire but the gas situation dumping out of the top of the carburetor is way wrong. It is supposed to spray into the bowl.

Anyone out there know why a new carburetor would do this? @Racer65 @FJ40Jim

I’m a carburetor dummy. I’ve had a few City Racer carbs and they have all been fine. No idea what to do about this.

Not wanting to totally quit, I pulled the hose out of the can and tried to get all the gas out of the line and just spray some starter fluid in there.

Bad plan.

No damage done but it was a good place to quit and figure out what’s wrong here.

@Texican tells me I likely have a float stuck wide open in the carb and I may be able to tap on the front of the carb to make it release.
Hope that’s all it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom