Weekend 'Wheeling Trip Pics. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."
Threads
Hi All:

Wasn't sure if I should post this in "Chat" or "Tech," but since all the rigs are 40 Series, and there were a couple of trail repairs needed, decided to post here!

Went with three buddies on a 'wheeling trip to what is known as the Naches area in Washington State. There is a network of 4X4 and dirt bike trails, most in the area north of Hwy. 410, and east of Chinook Pass.

In our case, we crossed the Cascade mountain range by taking the historic Naches Wagon Trail from outside of Greenwater, WA. There are three main sections of this trail, split roughly 25%, 50%, and 25%. Most folks only run the middle, 50% section, which is not too difficult when dry. Our group did all three sections - the western-most section (first 25%) I had not done before and enjoyed driving a trail I was unfamiliar with!

Anyhow, the weather was pretty nice the whole weekend, we camped Saturday night just below a ridgeline at about 6100 feet - in the morning we could see both the sun coming over the horizon and the moon setting in the west.

We had two serious mechanical breakages on the trail, both steering related! I had a tie rod end on my rig fail - the one that connects the pitman arm to the relay rod! Fortunately, it happen on an easy section of trail, at slow speed, and I happened to have a spare along in my trail box.

The other steering failure was on the FJ40 of "CruiserMax." The bolts holding the Saginaw PS gearbox to the frame sheared-off! We were able to extract the sheared-off bolt ends, and bolt it back to the frame, but glad it happened at a slow speed, and an easy section of the trail!

I'll post some pics next!

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Hi All:

O.K. - here are some pics from the weekend trip.

-Alan
HQ8.JPG
HQ2.JPG
HQ4.JPG

Hi All:

These three pics are of the interior of my rig (blue truck) after attempting a mud hole, Kevin's truck (green) after his attempt at the same mud hole, and a group photo on the Naches Wagon Trail.

-Alan

Hi All:

Here are two more photos. Me screwing-around on the trail, and "CruiserMax" winching up a hillside (very steep, and covered with loose soil and rocks.)

Regards,

Alan
HQ11.JPG
HQ15.JPG

look like it was fun, cant wait to get out this weekend

Nice pics and great to see FJ's on that trail. I ran part of the Naches and a couple other trails last summer in my 4runner. I was one of maybe 3 or 4 Toyotas in the pnw4wda trail jamboree.

Here's a snapshot of me in a "Sea of Heeps". The caption should read something like "Whoa, nice runner!". :D

Any chance of soliciting you guys to join the 2007 jamboree? A good friend of mine from high school runs a Heep dealership and flies a humongous heep flag over his camp every year. I plan to fly a Toyota flag right next to him next year. I'll have my 40 and that will make maybe 4 of us, but we need more FJs.

ps - pretty chatty reply so [tech] My Aussie in the rear got me around in a most excellent fashion. Was fun to "hang with the Rubicons" in a basically stock Toyty. Raised a couple eyebrows anyway.[/tech]

Nice photos Alan. I really am sorry that I missed the trip. Should be ready in a week or so, though.

Todd.

Hi All:

Thanks for the comments! It was a fun trip - the last trip of the year for me, with university classes starting next week.

I've been to the PNW Jamboree back in the mid-1990s, driving a non-Toyota vehicle! Too many rigs for my taste - I prefer a smaller group and more control over who you 'wheel with and camp with. but, you are welcome to try to hook-up with us next year for some runs - where are you located?

Tien - post some photos of your FJ40!

That hillside that "CruiserMax" is winching up is quite steep, and his rig was sliding off the edge of the trail. He choose the right-side approach to hill while the rest of us choose the left-side - bad choice! ;)

Which jack mounts and sliders are you referring to?

Todd, we really missed you - you know it did not rain at all once we got to Enumclaw; not for the entire weekend!

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
I've been to the PNW Jamboree back in the mid-1990s, driving a non-Toyota vehicle! Too many rigs for my taste - I prefer a smaller group and more control over who you 'wheel with and camp with. but, you are welcome to try to hook-up with us next year for some runs - where are you located?
I hear you on group size. I generally feel the same way. But I've met some swell folks, as the saying goes. And this Heep guy with the flag is an old, old friend, so there's some special interest for me.

I'm in Missoula, MT, but I travel to WA a few times a year to visit family and friends - grew up on south Puget Sound. Thanks for the offer; I'll look you up in the springtime.

Pure chat this time. That's theo 2, moderator 0!

ARe there any other good trails that you know of in the Seattle area? I live in Vancouver, WA and do most of my wheeling down there but would like to try some up towards your area. Is Naches pass the one east of Snoqualmi pass? Looks like theres some good wheeling up there, is it usually uncrowded? HOw is it in the winter?
Thanks

Family 40's said:
ARe there any other good trails that you know of in the Seattle area? I live in Vancouver, WA and do most of my wheeling down there but would like to try some up towards your area. Is Naches pass the one east of Snoqualmi pass? Looks like theres some good wheeling up there, is it usually uncrowded? HOw is it in the winter?
Thanks

Get together with us next year. This week's snow will probably make the Naches area trails impassable for 6 months or more (to all but snowmobiles).

Check in here: http://www.seattlecruiserheads.com/

Todd Bull

i was just over that way sort of, went to boise for a family emergency. it does look like alot of fun tho. i will have to try it some time.

Hi All:

The historic Naches Wagon Trail goes basically parallel to Hwy. 410, aka "Chinook Pass."

Like I mentioned before, there is a central 2/3s of the trail that is challenging, but not that difficult. The western 1/4 and the far eastern 1/4 section of the trail (depending upon the weather) can be much more difficult.

Anyone interested in running these trails in 2006 please do not hesitate to contact me; chances are we will be running a group across at some point or another!

Regards,

Alan

Hey Alan,
Any problems develop using the blue winch line? Like...did it get wet and get difficult to get off the winch hub?
If it worked fine what size is it, do you know?

Pretty country up in there!

spotcruiser said:
Get together with us next year. This week's snow will probably make the Naches area trails impassable for 6 months or more (to all but snowmobiles).

Check in here: http://www.seattlecruiserheads.com/

Todd Bull

You are correct about the snow! We just got back this evening from Naches. The trail was impassable so we ended up going over Pryamid Pass (FS 1914). A couple of feet at the top. Had to winch one time. No other rigs up there but snowmobiles!

Sounds good, I will be back from school in the summer, we should set up a time then, I could talk my brother to bring his cruiser too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom