1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

website how to Question, newbie to websites

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by PKP80, Jul 6, 2005.

1. PKP80

PKP80

How would I go about making my own site, like ActionJackson and others (not the web design but the physical site www....)? does it cost $$$ or could I get a website where I can post pics from trails etc. for free (so all you can enjoy the pics)? Thanks in advance

SAm

2. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    domain name ownership is ~$100 for 10 years - http://www.godaddy.com

hosting of that domain name is $5/month or so - http://www.amhosting.com

NEVER EVER EVER purchase your domain name thru your host...EVER...even if it's free...EVER. The $100 will be cheap compared to the plethora of possible future hassles...

BTW: silver star members on 'MUD get unlimited file uploads....$20 a year. LOTS of room for your pics...tech and trail....see the last option in your User CP if interested...

3. mabrodis

mabrodis

Does this hold true for godaddy also? I vaguely remember some battles about ownership in the past, I think with register.com, or maybe with networksolutions.com, how you'd register a domain, host it with them, and then when you tried to move/sell it they would say that they owned it not you and you were just leasing it from them, etc...

I remember reading on godaddy's site about how when you register a domain with them you own it outright...I own 8 or so domains with godaddy and have one domain hosted through godaddy, I had it setup and hosted elsewhere for a few months, but then brought it to them since they were on 24/7 and had better uptime than my sweet computer at home...

4. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    I have all my domains thru godaddy, and host everything elsewhere.

zero issues.... I pimp amhosting, since they also manage the MUD server, but I use hostforweb.com for a site too.

5. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    stupid website questions

which one do you do first?? i went through the sign up process on godaddy and it asked for where to park the domain name. is that what you are getting from amhosting? second stupid question, on amhosting, if you use windows do you pick the windows package? it looked like there was linux and someother stuff. this is for a basic website, an i use windows os computers.

6. soggy60

soggy60

First, I agree and promote Woddy's idea,,, send MUD a few buck and get lot's o' Megs for your pics.

If you want your very own website:
    Who is your ISP ? ( e.g., PacBell.net , alltel.net, ATT.net , one of the road runners , etc)
    Many of the ISPs will provide hosting service (small scale - personal page) as part of your dollars per month.

If ya just want to make pics availabel over the internet, there are pic gallerys you can subscribe to...

Pete

7. Jonathan_Ferguson

Jonathan_Ferguson ★ is in the wrong locale SILVER Star

This is DNS, which you can be done by your Registrar(Godaddy), Web Host(American Internet), or you could use a third Party(Which is what I'm doing) zoneedit.co.uk/index.html excellent Customer Service and USA$10.95 thus far. :)
    No relevence, and it doesn't matter.