weber38+pressure regulater=? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brian

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
i've had a 38 on the 40 for about 2yrs now and everything was ok with it.
i had been reading about how it should have regulated fuel pressure(3-4 psi),so i thought i would put a regulater on it( a mr gasket i got from jegs).
around town everything was cool, in fact after putting it on my warm idle dropped a few rpm's(no tach so don't know how many,maybe 50-100),so i thought everything was good, however i took it out on the road(55mph +) i tryed to pass and it acted like it was running out of gas (not leaning out).
pressure was set at an indicated 4 psi. i backed out of the gas and it picked up again.before the return trip i bumped the pressure to 5 psi,once agian everything was good till i put my foot in it.
it seems that the regulater isn't flowing enough cfm's.

so what make or brand of regulaters do most people put in front of a weber 38 and how does it work for you?

I had the same problem, I removed my mr. gasket and am in the middle of trying to figure it out.

I run purolator brand I got at Oreilly Auto parts. I run 3 lbs on the street, and 1 lb on the trail, and have never had the symptoms you describe except when the fuel filter clogged once. Do the simple stuff first, check flow from the tank to the filter, check the filter, then check flow from the pump, then check venting for the tank, making sure it has a good vent to atmosphere, other wise vacuum in the tank can be a problem...Alan

I have replaced all that you mentioned and the fuel system is in top running condition. I have a new tank, new filter, new hoses and a good fuel pump.

I figure the mr. gasket type just doesnt flow enough to maintain power under load.

I may go with a holley or aeromotive along with a pressure gauge.

i have decided to just remove it. i had no problems before putting the regulater on.
the tank is a new plastic one installed early this past summer at the same time i ran new line to the pump(pump is a new toyota replaced at time of weber install,2yrs old) and replaced the tiny fuel filter with the largest one i could find at waly-fart and the weber was working just fine before the reg install.
after removing,all problems went away.

I currently have 2 CR Pro fuel pressure regs in service. One ahead of triple 40 DCOE's set @ 2psi and the other ahead of twin 46 IDA3C's. Both applications require much more delivery of the magic juice than our FJ's ever could dream of and neither of them are starved. I think the Mr. Gasket unit is similar to the CR Pro. Also, as I recall there is an inlet and outlet side and it would make a difference. Here is one of the CR's and a link for a source.
http://www.piercemanifolds.com/accessories.htm

Ahhh...poly tank! Make sure it is vented properly! These can actually collapse from vacuum pressure...Does the gas cap make a sucking sound if you pop it open right after your carb runs outta gas?

the carb never ran out of gas.
i have the truck de-smogged so the only gas line i have is one running to the pump with no returns.
that vapor thingy that's right by the fuel fill is also removed.
and all the ports(except the feed!!) on the tank are blocked off.

i have had NO problems with this setup.**(PLEASE read agian before repling!!)**
the only time i get a vacuum on the tank(noticed only when opening the fill cap) is when i run a full or nearly full tank out of it, at one shoot.

all of my recent problems were from the pressure regulater not flowing enough volume to satisfy the carb's need under heavy load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom