Weber carburetor conversion not getting fuel (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Weber carburetor conversion not getting fuel.
1977 FJ40

so we installed the weber carburetor conversion and things seem good for a few days and then I started losing power and the engine stalled whenever I was driving slow. It started happening when I was going back to the house which is down a bumpy dirt road about a mile and a half long. I would get to the driveway and it would stall and wouldn’t start again. I installed an Edelbrock fuel pump beneath the gas tank and that worked for a couple days and then the same issue started again. Now I have a fuel pump from Summit racing and a regulator with a gauge. Now I can’t even get pressure to the gauge. I’ve called the Carborator people and I have called the fuel pump people and no one seems to have any answers for me. I have been told it might be A vapor lock but it has all new lines put on with the second fuel pump and we are still having the same issue.

Have you tried to check how far up the fuel lines you're getting fuel. In other words, is there fuel in the tank to begin with. If so then disconnect the first connection away from the tank and see if fuel is getting there. If it is move on to the next connection and see where the fuel is being stopped. I think you'll find your problem.

You don't mention a fuel filter. I would put one you can see through before the fuel pump.
44 years is lots of time for dirt and rust to accumulate.

Have you tried to check how far up the fuel lines you're getting fuel. In other words, is there fuel in the tank to begin with. If so then disconnect the first connection away from the tank and see if fuel is getting there. If it is move on to the next connection and see where the fuel is being stopped. I think you'll find your problem.
Yes I have. I have also separately blown out each section with the compressor to make sure there was nothing in the lines. I can take the line off of the carburetor and turn on the pump and have a strong stream of gas come out and then hook it back to the carburetor and everything works fine until I put a load on the engine and then all the sudden I lose gas.Yesterday I took the gas line off the tank and it dumped gas out so fast it was uncontrollable. I hooked everything back up again and then suddenly there was no fuel pressure again. I’m going to try to take the tank off today and look inside of it for any kind of blockage.

You don't mention a fuel filter. I would put one you can see through before the fuel pump.
44 years is lots of time for dirt and rust to accumulate.
I have a see-through glass fuel filter and it hasn’t picked up any kind of sediment.

" until I put a load on the engine and then all the sudden I lose gas "

You might want to check the float level and see if it can be getting stuck in the up position which would shut off the fuel flow.

When fully flummoxed (particularly on older less proven system, or recently modified); I usually use a small gas tank, and a generic known good electric fuel pump to try running the carb, observing the bowl fill, (and stop filling),.

There is a screen on the Weber that prevents big stuff from entering the bowl. It could be clogged. It is removed by undoing the brass screw below the fuel inlet, IIRC.

Do you have a fuel return line set up? I have vapor lock issues on my old Weber until I setup a fuel return circuit. A PO had cut and discarded all that (and installed a Motorcraft carb).

If not, just add a fuel filter that has one incorporated is the simplest solution.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom