Weber carb/ air intake questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok. I am running a weber carb and a TPI 4x4 snorkel plenum. the tube in this picture used to run into the air intake hose that came witht the plenum but i decided to do this as i have seen it other 40's like this and i hope to soon ad a homemade snorkel and wanted to set this up different. I started up the 40 and form out of this small filter poored very strong grey exhaust smoke. what is wrong. did i do something really stupid. Please help. thanks

if it is coming out there it's blow by...but before we go any further...what about the pcv valve....installed...working...hooked up properly ??? couple o' questiond first

installed yes. but dont know if its is working. i just want to know how to stop the strong fumes from coming out of here. thanks though

I realize the PCV valve is a cheap(under 10 dollars) part but i have never eplaced one. are they hard to take out and put a new one in and can anyone tell me exactly what they do. thanks

Cruiserhead...

If your crankcase is not breathing properly, via the PCV valve, or, you are pressurizing the cranckcase because of another issue, it will blow crap out that hose with the silly filter on it...

Should be a hose going from the PCV(positive crankcase ventilation) valve to the base of the adapter on the webber, or at another point of engine vaccume. Creates a vaccume inside the engine crankcase to vent possible unburnt gasses, and to keep from building pressure and poping oil seals.

Remove the valve, pull it out, may be in there kinda hard, so it may take a little effort, but get it out, and shake it, if it rattles, and is not packed with crud, you are good to go.

Good luck!

-Steve

"the silly filter" nonsense, its cute. yeah it is kinda dumb but whatever. ok, so put a new pcv valve in and then see? i will try that. also for what it is worth when this used to be hooked up to the air intake hose that is on thee now does that mean it was blowing this exhuast type smoke into the clean air supply. so this was going into the carb?

You do not need to install a new PCV valve, check the old one first...

If I have deciphered your last post properly, yes, the crankcase fumes are to be sucked back into the filter housing on a stock truck, and then filtered by the air filter. What type of filter housing did you have on this vehicle before you decided to go with this snorkel affair? The K&N filter set ups, both large and small for the Weber carbs, have a fitting that can go into the air filter housing and with a hose, can be tied to this spot on the rocker cover, negating the need for that silly little filter nonsense. I would run a hose to the new filter box, and be done with it. Which leads me to another question. What are you going to use for a filter housing on this homemade snorkel?

-Steve

Steve, check out the thread about the homemade snorkel i started. there are pics there but that air filter setup does not allow my to tie in this extra hose to it. Is there anything wrong with just letting this air out into the open or is it critical that i tie it back in to the air intake system

Poser, if you get a good look at the snorkel air intake setup you will notice the only way i could tie this hose into it would be after the filter which basically serves no purpose. i need to somehow get it tied in before the filter like the stock setup i guess. but did have the weber type air cleaner on before, the small square one and it took the hose and where it hooked in it was after the filter. i'm pretty sure that is how it worked.

In theory, there should not be any 'chunks' of things getting into the carb and engine causing any problems from that port, but I guess you cannot be too safe. I have been running my Weber on the 82 2F in my 69-40 since '92 with that hose off the rocker cover going right into the K&N air cleaner assembly. Everything seems to work all right still.

Are you looking to play submarine with your truck, or is this a cosmetic 'upgrade'?

Do you have any pics of this truck as it is right now?

-Steve

poser. i guess you are right. i am just going to slice a small hole in the rubber tube and stick the hose we've been talking about iinto there. thats how it wa sand it working fine. My 40 is actually kinda for sael right now there are like 25 pics on the for sale section. its an 82 fj40. Also the snorkel is kinda half and half. i had an open cone type filter on it and thats whats on it right now. Even going through large puddles would drench the cone filter. this should help that and is cool looking i think. Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom