Webasto sunroof in a hard top? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BJEC69

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anyone think a Webasto sunroof in a FJ40 is possible? Or a bad idea?
C97C0C03-B84A-4B6B-A22B-F1EA089A9855.jpeg

I've hated every sunroof I've ever had in a 40 roof. The fiberglass roof on a 40 is too flexible with a big hole cut in it. Every tie I resealing it the roof would flex and the seal would leak. Don't do it.

Agreed, cool idea and then you do it and regret it. I some now acquired a few roofs and couldn’t even give away the one with a sunroof… ended up being used for a “stretch 40 project”

Good luck either way! End of the day, it’s your 40! :cool:

Nik

I refer to the heathen that hacked a sunroof into my roof as a war criminal....

I don't think there's any simple way to do it to the flimsy factory roof and not have a leaky flexible roof. You could probably glass in some structure to cure some of that. I don't know if you could ever get it to look right either.

Repairing that hole is tough to get right. I didn't even bother trying on mine, I sourced a replacement from Classic Cruisers. Cheaper and made more sense than trying to repair old fibreglass. I think the roof from Classic Cruisers is a little thicker and resins have come a long way in 45 years.

It'd be nice if the roof and sides were a few minute job to remove rather than the raging pain it is.

Brendan, if it’s light you’re looking to try and add topside, see if Tim Simpkins at LCS in Oregon is still able to make the reproduction roofs with the rover-esque side ovals.

What I noticed is to get an opening 24.5" front to back you need to cut a 44.5" hole. That's a pretty good chunk of fiberglass your taking out.

Doesn't seem like that many years ago the FJ40 tops have little value. In the nineties I picked up a couple of rust free hard tops with ambulance doors for $200 apiece. Jeep tops were selling for a grand. At that time wouldn't have thought twice about cutting a hole in a top. Just pick one up at wrecking to do it to. Don't like just put the original back on.

I've seen ones with cut roofs pop up recently. I think the one I saw had a small pop up moon roof, not full retractable. Another had a camper style vent. Keep an eye out for one of those, you'll probably get it cheap and can always go back to your original if you don't like the results.

Brendan, if it’s light you’re looking to try and add topside, see if Tim Simpkins at LCS in Oregon is still able to make the reproduction roofs with the rover-esque side ovals.
Thanks Mark!!! I prefer topless, be it’s hard to keep the dog in……was thinking I’d get the best of both worlds…..but

What I noticed is to get an opening 24.5" front to back you need to cut a 44.5" hole. That's a pretty good chunk of fiberglass your taking out.

Doesn't seem like that many years ago the FJ40 tops have little value. In the nineties I picked up a couple of rust free hard tops with ambulance doors for $200 apiece. Jeep tops were selling for a grand. At that time wouldn't have thought twice about cutting a hole in a top. Just pick one up at wrecking to do it to. Don't like just put the original back on.
My 7/69 FJ40 has the original F, and with it the original starter "issues" - it randomly will just "click" but not engage. It will always engage eventually - or at least, has always done so far - but I'd like a better answer.

I have had the starter out and rebuilt it, polished the contacts, all that. No noticeable improvement, ever.

I have this memory that the "hot fix" is to install the starter from a 2F engine - that is, from a "1980 fj 60". Is that still the received wisdom/best plan? Is that a direct drive starter? Not really interested in messing with the wiring for a gear reduction starter, since it doesn't sound like the gear reduction isn't always an improvement in the cold.

I'm going to be doing a bunch of little "honeydew" projects on the truck over the next month, and this is on the list of things that I'd like to address.

Thanks!

Thanks, wanted to restore the hard top, and thought it may work. I’m always the dumbass who wants something that’s never been done….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom