Weathertech carpet hooks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserbrett

GOLD Star
Threads
I was excited to get the Weathertech mats for the 80. But not in any way excited about the fact it didn't use the stock hooks.

I had weathertech mats in my '06 Dodge 2500 and remember the OEM dodge clips were seemingly what Weathertech designed the hook hole to fit, so after a search on EBAY I came up with a pair of OEM dodge carpet mat hooks.

Install is simple:

Put a wide piece of tape down in the area of the hole in the Weathertech mat, and place the mat back. (I would recommend moving it back a touch from where it likes to sit, so that you take up a little slack when locating the area where the mat hooks will be installed.)

Mark the hole with a sharpie on the tape.

Draw lines for the small incisions you will make on the carpet. (Pay attention to the direction of the hook teardrop)

make careful ~1" incisions and remove tape

Install hooks by pushing into holes in carpet. you may need a pen or something to help hold carpet up from jute padding below to fish the base tab through and snap closed...

All in all it took longer to find a sharp exacto knife blade in my tool box that to do the install. I 100% recommend these over the auger. more secure, and I don't feel the fishhook shape of the auger style hooks if I have my foot back from the pedals for some reason...

carpet clip 1.jpg

carpet clip 3.jpg

carpet clip 2.jpg

Looks like a good option over the screw in type. Mine seem to be working great for now but I question the longevity of them. Thanks for the tip!

I screwed the Weathertech supplied hooks into a speed nut under the carpet. We'll see if it holds. If not I'm trying these badboys. Nice find.

I ordered based on your recommendation.....then ordered new carpet and am torn as to whether I wanna poke a hole in it, simply because the mats don't seem to fit very well.

Did your mats seem a good fit, Brett?

My wife's Subaru came with these:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419128862.598516.jpg

Maybe something like this could work bolted to the floor under the seat or something?

Thinking something like this:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419130298.864023.jpg

Might be able to fashion something that bolts to the seat bolts rather than cuts a hole in the floor.

Chris,

I am sorry I didn't see your question before now, but I do think they fit well, but not a nice as they did in my dodge. I took a heat gun and splayed the footrest side out a bit and let cool. Seems to be a lot better.

I love the functionality of the weathertech mats, and while these arent quite as good a fit as the dodge ones I had, they are still great mats, and I am very glad weathertech decided to make them.

I'm thinking industrial strength Velcro, stuck to the bottom in a few strategic places will adhere to the carpet and stop it from moving around.

Just my pocket change on the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom