Weatherstrip Sealant Yes/No? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace the weatherstrip above the windshield on an FJ40 ('78) - since I will take the hardtop off to do this I was thinking of replacing all the weatherstrip. My question is do you put the new weatherstrip on with some type of sealant? If so recommended?

I don't plan to mess with the weatherstrip between the white cap and sides but in the future.... sealant here?

thx for the help - Bill

hi bill
welcome to mud.

to answer your question, no, you do not have to put any type of sealant between the windshield and weatherstripping or the tub and the hardtop. i think everyone will agree that OEM seals are best. they can be had for discounted cost from people such as beno, cdan, and sam stewart. if on the cheap do a search and there are a few people who have made their own from various materials found at home improvement stores.

as for the fiberglass top to side seal, when you remove it you might find a black tar like substance between the weather seal and hardtop side. i honestly think this was more to keep seal in place while putting fiberglass top back on and not so much for sealing out weather. when i did mine i did not use anything and i do not have any weather issues inside the cab.

andy

post up some pics, we all like to see pics. very visual group.

Thx Andy for the quick reply.

One further question. The FJ40 that I just bought has had the top removed on a regular basis as is missing the two bolts/screws that go between the front flange on the white roof cap and the top of the windshield. There is about a 1/4" between this flange and the front of the windshield frame. Is there a spacer that goes between the two as if looks like if you just tighten a bolt/screw here it will bend the flange. Otherwise the hard top and roof cap all appear to fit properly.

Any insight appreciated.

Thx Bill

hey bill-
the windshield is not fixed and can move forward. there is no seal between the the front flange and the windshield in this area. only the one along the top of the windshield. when i install my hardtop,
1. i loosen the windshield bolts to allow a little play,
2. insert and start the main tub bolts leaving alittle loose,
3. then tighten hardtop to windshield with the two bolts you mentioned, this should snug up the space you are talking about
4. then tighten the windshield to the door headers,
5. then windshield bolts.
6. lastly i go back to main tub bolts and snug those all up.

i hope this make sense. everyone probably has there own routine and way, this is what works for me.

andy

I had spacers under those two windshield bolts - had, since one bounced across the driveway when I took it off last.

Here's one emphatic vote NO on sealant. I apparently used some under the side panels last time, I had to use the high lift jack to get it back off this go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom