Wear on crank pulley oil seal surface diagnosis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just change it, they last 20yrs.

When the vulcanized rubber lets go, you got 50-100 miles before the crank is very bummed. It’s a 1FZ, I will give it 200 miles. 🤷🏼‍♂️

New harmonic balancers-crank pulleys don’t have a groove FYI.

Cheers

The new pulley got here from Partsouq quicker than I expected. The price was $182 plus $70 shipping. At $252 I saved a significant amount over my usual go to McGeorge online parts price of $336 and my local dealership that wanted $513 and my right arm.

The new part has a dust shield on it which I’m glad to see. I replaced the front crank seal 35k mikes ago. It stated leaking while I was on the Dusy Ershim trail September 4th. It dripped on the axle housing and the pulley through oil al over. My suspicion was that the extreme dust somehow got between the seal the the pulley seal surface and the dust shield that they added to this later version pulley has me thinking I may have been correct. I’ll never know for sure.
7DDCE77A-3566-4CD6-842D-D2745CA28268.jpeg
4719F5F6-2D4D-47D6-98A2-8B4FBA2BA5FE.jpeg

Last edited:
You sure it wasn’t your Cruiser pissing itself from thinking, Umm Mr. Driver.... do you see that fire and smoke? You can fit in a helicopter. I can’t.
LOL....... perhaps. Now let me see if can get this job done without breaking the by-pass nipple off my radiator like I did last time.

New pulley is in and the radiator is still in one piece. My torque wrench goes only to 300lbft so I did that and a little more for good measure. The old pulley came off easily. The new one had to be pushed on in the final half with the bolt. Nice and snug... just the way we like it. And since I was there, the oil pump cover got another new O-ring too. Call me a fan boy but the only other engine I’d feel good about replacing expensive parts on short of a rebuild is the the 5.9 Cummins under the hood of the truck parked behind the 80.
9A5229B3-A63E-4BB7-B4BB-0B509CE2216A.jpeg
EA6E2254-353F-4C30-9FFA-FC81AD026314.jpeg
089EE1BC-2A13-44B6-BDDB-9FC4AEDC83AD.jpeg
The deep well socket holding fast the ring gear against the opening in the bell hosing inspection cover for crank bolt torquing purposes.

New belts as a bonus. The old belts had maybe 40k on them but they are a pita to replace so while it’s apart she gets new belts. The wear comparison showed more than I expected.
4510674D-373B-468A-9FA1-8687C937BD4A.jpeg
1933C480-7E06-4360-AA8D-814373A85484.jpeg

Interesting, I wasn't aware that the earlier versions of the crank pulley did not have the dust shield. Appears also that the sealing surface for the crank seal has been hardened on the new pulley. No wonder there's so much wear on the original pulley from the seal and grit over the years. Good call on replacing it.

Manufactures learn lessons over time as we all do. 302k miles on the original parts is nothing to complain about though.

Agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom