1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wayno at auction

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Red Herring, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    Wayno... are your people going after that grade 4 1980 BJ41 with 26,000k at todays? Floaters out back! Looks promising?

2. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    got a link for that, I would like to see it.

3. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

i won't know till i get it inspected...
    probably not since the 40s and 41s do not sell well and the last thing i need is another one for the museum...
    ;^)

4. esh

esh

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd pay $5 to see that in the museum.

hee

ok maybe $7.50

5. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    will someone post a link PLEASE........

6. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
  7. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
  8. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

hey thats a neat site. is that the area that you shop in Wayne? or are there other auctions as well. I noticed a lot of pictures are similar to the ones that are posted in some different importers sites. With the wall in the background.

To me that is just candy looking at those vehicles. When I decide tho, I am going to use an importer. I have no interest in buying on my own. I think you need an insider to look and help. Otherwise you might get a real bag o s***.

You say museum piece Wayne for the 40, but those sweet units are great. I would have loved to have bought that yellow bj40 you had. In due time.........

9. honk

honk

Media:
    Huh? It's only about $1300.00. Add some $800. for their commision and at $2100. it'd be a great deal........for someone in Japan. But ship it here and you're figuratively sunk, if not literally.

10. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    I must be missing something.. It says 150,000 yen that's only like $1300? :confused:

11. honk

honk

Media:

1335.607 USD to be exact.

But before everyone gets all excited consider that if you were to buy it at auction the risk is all yours. The history, as could be supported by Wayne and several others with experience, is that the condition of a vehicle can vary a great deal despite that site's minimal rating. The vehicle may be rusted, it may have serious mechanical issues, it may have a host of other problems which you won't be able to discern easily.

Then there's shipping and all of the related hassles with customs, duties, et all. You won't see it for quite a while and by the time you actually take possession the price may have quadrupled, or grown tenfold. It's not altogether predictable.

There are other things I'm sure. I'm sure enough of it to say that in my opinion the better course is to let someone else take all of the risk and deal with all of the troubles. Once they have it you can make a nice slow and thorough decision whether to buy or to not buy.

I've been a registered business in that site for several months yet I just bought a vehicle from Wayne.

12. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    Even if shipping was 2k it's still be less than 5k. Any other customs costs? It would beat 95% of the 40's on the road here. :D

Edit.. Your mustard FST bj would be in the 5% :cool:

13. honk

honk

Media:
    Sorry Wesintl,

I was editing while you were posting.

14. honk

honk

Media:

LOL!

Well, if it's not I know EXACTLY where to go and do something about it, don't I? :D (I haven't seen it yet, and it's on the road somewhere in Canada on it's way to Vancouver where I'll pick it up)

And that's a part of my point above. You really don't have much recourse, if any at all, when buying internationally. Our laws don't apply and to make suit in a Japanese court of law is almost a ridiculous proposition.
    The guys who've done this stuff have gotten screwed. I know Wayne has had at least one which was not at all what he thought it would be because he told me about it. I also have heard a couple of VERY bad stories from a couple of other people I know who have messed around in this stuff. So it CAN be a pretty ugly experience.

Customs duty, BTW, is generally 2.5% of purchase price. You usually can't get one in without a registration somewhere and a Japanese registration may not be acceptable even after you've paid to have it translated. The US customs are a PITA, mostly because everyone you deal with seems to make up new rules as they go along. The actual law is so cumbersome that no one person could truly be expert in it.

15. crushers

LOL!!,
    150,000 JPY is the opening bid. you WILL NOT get this truck for that kind of money.
    i would say about 780,000 JPY will come close <BIG MAYBE> the last one i saw that was close to this unit was sold for $15,000 CND and then add the auction fees to that as well as deregistration, FOB cost, shipping, customs, more shipping and you will be in the ball park.
    i have seen 81 with diff lock and full load that starting bid was 80,000 JPY and sold for 1.200,000 JPY and add all the cost to it...
    starting bids mean nothing.
    sorry to pop your bubbles boys...
    cheers guys

16. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    Shipping from Japan is cheap. Our local importer charges $1100AUD for Shipping, customs, quarantine and agent fees for clearance from the wharf (paid once the vehicle arrives in Australia)

Unfortunately we can only get pre 88 models under the law changes

17. crushers

for the record, i have been screwed out of my deposits at 2 different sites to date. i have fired 2 contacts in Japan for shipping me s***. i have developed 2 VERY good contacts in Japan now. guys that i can trust to the point of not even having to see the trucks <but i do anyway to be on the safe side>. i have seen first hand the crap that some of the importers are selling.

you want to buy a good rig? then buy from Outback, myself and most of Mustangs rigs that i have seen are pretty nice.

the bloke down east might be another good source (the sword dealer)(sorry i have forgotten the name of your company). time will tell.

you want to import on your own, please do so. it is your money and time, i have seen a couple nice rigs come in privately.

there is NO recourse to get your money back, once the wire is sent it is gone.

cheers

18. crushers

nope, never seen this site before. the contacts this site is juat the tip of the iceberg...
    ;^)
    in todays auction there is 179 cruisers, 210 prados, 32 hilux and 295 surfs...
    cheers

19. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    My guy does it for a flat fee, and shipping is within +/-$200... so it is easy to calculate just what it will cost. The hidden costs for me (not having a good contact on the ground in Japan) are when you get the vehicle, and see what it needs to bring it up to where you want it. Have to budget for that as well.

20. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    OK, along with spelling........math is also not my strong suit ;) I thought it was $13,000