Way Hard to Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1979 FJ40, Stock engine, WAY Hard to start....Currently if temp is below 70 I pump pedal twice, pull choke out all the way turn key an listen to it crank for 40 seconds...give it a rest, turn key crank for 40 seconds, etc, etc, etc...some times takes 10 minutes to get it started...once it catches and warms up, it runs great....This is an everyday driver, so it is really frustrating every morning.
BTW, I installed a Mean Green HD Torque Starter recently in that the OEM finally gave up the farm after being subjected to this torment every morning.

This is my fifth LC and they are all a little bit funky on cold start but NOTHING like this...Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks

i would check your fuel pump, if i don't drive my truck for a week or so the fuel in my carb evapoates and drains back into the tank; i must crank for about 60 seconds to refill float bowl, then it starts fine. similar symtoms, different motor: i have a 350 w/ eddlebrock carb & mechanical pump. my friend sujested swapping in an electric pump to cure this. carl

i second the first, sounds like no gas and if there is gas no choke. i also now run eletric fuel pump.

ITSA;

Look under the fj40, near the fuel pump. Is it leaking? How many miles since u installed an OEM fuel pump? Can u smell gas at any time? OEM fuel pumps are good for about 70k miles and a new one will solve ur problem. Also, a accel pump, carb rebuild may be in the works.

I've had the same problem and the new fuel pump did wonders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom