Wax ON, wax OFF

tonkota

What type of wax/polish do you guys use on the Land Cruisers? I've been using Mothers, but maybe there is an OEM wax I should use? :)

I want to keep it looking nice.

tabraha

Hello My Name is: TAD
SILVER Star

I use Zymol b/c that's what I have on hand when waxing the 911. It gives good results on the yotas too; use it on the Tacoma and the 100. Scrape past plenty of branches on a daily basis and things still look pretty well.

Mother's California Gold...
but really anything that's 100% pure carnuba. No petroleum distillates.

Trees that sap off with the acid rain and dry on black paint. That's a nightmare.
Time to wash with vinegar.

Good one, Swank.

I use Mother's 3 Stage Process, made my old 60's paint look like new....(Well except for a chip or two, trail carnage to 4 body panels, and .........

Once I was doe it was great except for the fact that the oxidation had hidden about a dozen small dings....

tonkota

jwest said:
Mother's California Gold...
but really anything that's 100% pure carnuba. No petroleum distillates.

Why no petroleum distillates? I don't think I've used them, but maybe on another car.

Tonkota said:
]Why no petroleum distillates? I don't think I've used them, but maybe on another car.
I'm just saying what I use, and that's a 100% pure carnuba. No abrasives.

Waxes with petroleum distillates are "cleaner" waxes. If you haven't waxed in a while, or if your finish needs work (not just dirt, but also doesn't feel smooth to the touch), a cleaner wax is the way to go. Once it's clean and smooth, then you can start in with the pure carnuba.

One caveat. If you're using carnuba for the first time, your finish won't be used to it and it could be tough to buff out. So go a little at a time or use a buffer.

Here's my point in doing all this. Once you've established the carnuba, you'll find that it gets easier and faster to wash and wax. The wax just takes to itself and buffs out cleanly and quickly. Nothing like when you first started. Remember, carnuba is a hard wax but a "cleaner wax" will take it off so don't use it. Also, try to stay with the same product that you've established your coat with. I'll tell ya, sometimes all I need to do is dust the car off and wipe it down with a damp cloth.

For a black finish especially, I wouldn't use anything but pure carnuba.

I use Klasse. It's an acrylic coating that I've used on my other cars for a few years now. It has a great shine, and it holds up way better than wax does. I go maybe 4 months between coats. Kind of pricey, but a little bit goes a long way.

About Klasse

What's wax? I like the white paint as it doesn't show scratches and dings as easy as dark colors. I wash my truck once a year whether it needs it or not. :D I actually power washed it this afternoon, no soap, just water. The last time I remember washing it was sometime last summer. I'm offroad enough that washing it would be a twice a week occurance. :doh: Stick with white paint....

NorCalDoug

problems solved daily...

White Shark said:
What's wax? I like the white paint as it doesn't show scratches and dings as easy as dark colors. I wash my truck once a year whether it needs it or not. :D I actually power washed it this afternoon, no soap, just water. The last time I remember washing it was sometime last summer. I'm offroad enough that washing it would be a twice a week occurance. :doh: Stick with white paint....
It seems that along with same choices in color...we use the same washing/waxing methods as well :D

D

Docmallory

GetsUThere said:
I use Klasse. It's an acrylic coating that I've used on my other cars for a few years now. It has a great shine, and it holds up way better than wax does. I go maybe 4 months between coats. Kind of pricey, but a little bit goes a long way.

About Klasse

Klasse is great. I use it on my Cruiser and the wife's Lexus. In my opinion, it looks better on a dark colored car than a light colored car. Main downside is that it doesn't hide swirls much.

tonkota

yooper said:
Zaino is the way to go. It rocks, dude. Yes, I'm calling you dude again. Dude.
#26 this time guy!!! :) Oh wait, here I can give you this: :flipoff2:

Thanks for all the replies.

swank60 said:
I use a mixture of acid rain and birdsh!t. Keeps the oxidation uneven panel to panel, and really brings out the mistakes in the prep work from it's last paint job.

Never had Makers Mark come out my nose before.

Thanks Swank :flipoff2:

erics_bruisers said:

I KNEW IT!!!

RUBBING IT WITH A DIAPER HUH......YOUUUUU :princess:

Personally I can't say much seeing as how I always try to start with a mud bath then a nice light coat of #4 Be (Beryllium 9.0122). I then let it bake under the sun untill the day it rains, thus beginning the cycle once again..........

Top Bottom