Waterpump whine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Am getting the truck ready for a 4,000 mile roundtrip so I may be paranoid. I'm hearing an intermittent whine from the waterpump....sounds like an alternator but I'm sure it is the pump. Happens when the truck is warming up, then goes away when it gets hot. I fixed it with a shot of spray lubricant behind the pulley.

The pump is about 3 years old, Aisin, and seems is working fine. Every other pump I've had signaled its failure via the weephole. This one is dry. Is this a sign of impending doom? If so, I'll replace it before I leave but I just put in a new radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, and hoses....don't relish the idea of digging back in.

Will the noisy water pump create a serious problem on your 4000 mile trip? Probably not.

Should you replace it?
It's up to you.
Would I replace it before a trip like that?
I would if I had the time and energy. I don't like wondering about old creaky important parts on long ass trips.

There's a great feeling when driving these old things knowing that a certain part is new and strong and won't let you down cuz there's plenty of other things that might.

According to the water pump overhaul instructions in the FSM, if the bearing produces noise when the shaft is rotated, the bearing should be replaced (during an overhaul).

image.jpeg

Isolate the whine now -- Could indicate a bearing on the way out and last thing you wanna do is replace in the field.

Use an Auto Stethoscope or long metal rod or long long screwdriver on the various components to figure out where the noise is coming from. If you can't isolate, try spraying the belts, one at a time with some dressing and see if it goes away. May just need tightening.

@Spike Strip , I'm sure it is coming from the waterpump. It goes away when I spray lubricant down on the shaft behind the pulley. It also goes away naturally when it comes to operating temp.

Who wants to throw the dice on a 4k trip? I would not be able to enjoy the trip as much as I would want to if I was focused on that whine. Sucks but fix it when it is easiest.

Bit the bullet and pulled the pump. It had a tiny bit of play in the bearing....who knows? May have gone another 50K. I'll get the new one in as soon as bolts arrive and won't have to think about it....

Make sure you do not OVERTIGHTEN the belt. That kills bearings fast.

Reactions: OSS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom