waterpump repair kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No pictures, but to successfully remove the clip take off the hub and clean up the area. Soak the bearing and wire with penetrating oil, heat the housing, soak, repeat......With the water pump back plate removed and the pump on a block of wood wack the shaft on the pump with a nylon hammer until it moves down in the housing. Flip the pump over, support housing and whack the shaft on the impeller side until the bearing moves in the other direction. Keep working the shaft back and forth. Look in the slot for the wire retainer and recenter the wire in the groove. At this point the clip should be finger loose and can be removed.
15558701714736563963797869796228.jpg

Another tip, the surplus military kits are good stuff.......but they are 60+ years old. Mine came with a busted seal. Yes the "washer" or "spacer" is the mechanical seal. It requires a perfect surface in the housing to mate with.
15558706908804225551381497159918.jpg

The originals came with a slinger on the water side of the bearing, it will encourage anything on the shaft to head out the weep hole and protect the bearing, reuse it.

15558709726215778340099168143.jpg

One more while I'm in the posting mood. Just because you can get a kit doesn't mean you're home free. This impeller has damage to the the leading and trailing edge and the damage in the notch for the seal tab would prevent the spring from doing it's job.
15558731929452138180662629974916.jpg

Reviving an old thread here... anyone know of a good replacement impeller for this? Mine basically crumbled.

Reviving an old thread here... anyone know of a good replacement impeller for this? Mine basically crumbled.
My bad... Sorry, I got turned around when reading and thought this was posted in the 60 section :love:

Deleted.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, that part number isn’t the right pump assembly for me and my 1967. I’m looking for the early style with the threaded outlet.

Something of this ilk is a little more difficult...
0B98AFE4-1241-4719-9C38-3128EF832711.jpeg

Unobtanium... And I've got to ask why you would want to replace just the impeller when a new OEM pump is relatively cheap ($70ish) and you get a new seal and bearing that are probably in the same shape as the vane??

But if you really just want to replace the impeller, I see old stock kits on ebay with impellers that will work, but you're still gonna spend $30 for just the that part, so...

Aisin WPT-028 FJ60 pump

FWIW, you can often get them cheaper in a Delco, Carter, etc box is you can verify it's rebranded Aisin/asco on da box.

vintageteqparts.com has a great kit with new fasteners if you're interested ...

F135 pumps are no longer available and the later pumps won’t allow you to keep the factory hose setup. This stuff can be important when trying to complete a factory restoration.

I deleted the above post - Sorry - I somehow thought I was in the 60- Section.

I thought a '67 uses a 16100-60080 pump? Which is the one pictured above from Rockauto.

If not, there is this guy with good reputation:

Last edited:
I deleted the above post - Sorry - I somehow thought I was in the 60- Section.

I thought a '67 uses a 16100-60080 pump? Which is the one pictured above from Rockauto.

If not, there is this guy with good reputation:

The photo I posted is the one that came off of my very original 1967 FJ45 with the 135 motor. Looks to be a near-transitional year from the sounds of it because under the hood strongly resembles my 1965 FJ40.

What's the pipe thread size? I wonder if you could just nip the barb off and thread the housing to recreate the OEM setup?

View attachment 2635137
I think this could probably be done, though I haven’t confirmed hole positioning to be the same. Anyone tried this method?

SOR lists pumps for 58-67 (w/hose kits) in stock ...

Yeah, they aren't the original style, and wouldn't be as original in the hot water line setup as I would prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom