Waterproofing a tent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going to waterproof our tent for the 1st time. Do i just spray it down really good? Walmart has scotchguard in the camping section.

If it is nylon or polyester, no need. These fabrics are coated on the inside with polyurethane. The spray on waterproofing will not help and might actually cause the polyurethane to delaminate over time. (Don't ask me how I know this!).

If the tent is canvas, I'd look for a special canvas water proofer. Canvak may be one.

Will have to look. Definitely not canvas.

Heres a tip to help eliminate leaks.
Don't fold your tent, stuff it. This way any creases will be random and not break down in the common areas. Depending on use, seam seal your tent every year (we camp several times a year but have different tents for different seasons so its every other year for us).

We have a Coleman vela. I also have a cot tent and sleep in the 60 some. I saw the seam seal but did not pick it up. The spray i picked up is silicone based i think.

Outdoor stores sell a product by a company called NIKWAX, they make a solution you wash the tent in a washingmachine. Then you dry it on in the dryer.
Don't spray anything on your tent

if the tent was waterproof to begin with usually you just have to seal the seams with seam sealer

+1 for stuffing the tent and using seam sealer. McNett makes a good one that you just brush on the inside of the seams and let dry overnight. Super easy to use. I used it on a tent I bought about 6 years ago and have since slept in it for about 60+ nights with all kinds of wet weather and have never had a leak. I wouldn't throw your tent in a machine tho, I've always just hosed my out in the backyard if it gets too dirty. Nixwax is usually used to restore waterproofing and breathability on gortex-type items, not provide initial protection.

Seam sealer FTW

i've been contemplating the rustoleum neverwet on my old tent to see how that works.

My Oz tent doesn't currently leak at all.

Has anyone ever used never-wet for anything as serious as a tent? I'd be curious, as my only experience was just kinda messing around with it on random stuff with mixed results. My worry is that it require frequent reapplication on a tent, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'll report back at some point on that.

I'm using it on my $80 walmart tent to see if it works.

they have videos on youtube of people doing it aswell as it being on the list of recommended uses for the product.

I've sealed seams and water proofed home made rip stop nylon tarp/poncho with mineral spirits and clear silicon. Mix silicon into mineral spirits until dissolved and brush on seams or for large pieces I submerge in a bucket, let soak then lay out on line to dry. Cheap and works great.

I mean worst case scenario, you just go return your walmart rental for a new one

Btw scotch guard works well on random stuff like hats to shed water. Cheap, plus then you don't have to worry about if an aerosol is messing with your material

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom