Waterproof Roof Top Bags (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I prefer to use standard dry bags, but if what you want to carry doesn't fit in them, then what your looking at is a decent option. I like that dry bags can easily be tossed around and are small enough that you can still get them up and down off the truck without breaking your back.

pEMS1-6243308venh.jpg

Find some used Pelican boxes on CL.

I have seen the ARB storm bags in action and they do really well. Couple of different sizes also.

I have the Roofbag Cross Country 15 cu ft in silver. I've only used it once for a 5 day drip Maine. It rained some and nothing got into the bag. It's really well made and I bought 2 extra straps to make sure it was secure. I can't speak for it's durability yet, but I think it will hold up well.

Is there a reason you want a bag and not a rooftop box? I have a roof rack and have done all the lashing and other biz and can tell you its much easier to have a latchable rooftop box. Better security, access, and no need for annoying tie down straps... Much easier in my opinion...

Flexibility, so if I have a little bit of stuff to put in there I can sense that down lower which will be less drag.

we have two of the sherpak go got one on sale the other at garage sale
cut off all the straps and prefer it that way with my own tie downs the stock ones are OK but to long flappy etc....

had in some wet weather nothing was wet inside I seem to remember one having a bit of wet in the one ? kinda forgot now what the issue was but was so minor nothing to worry about

IMHO I would treat them as resistant not proof meaning I would pack knowing some water can get in that way you should be safe
we put our TNF duffels inside these bags on the roof that way if a bit of water gets in who cares the other bags will be protecting the rest of the way also mine get gnarly dirty and I prefer having that stay on the roof and pull out clean bags and stuff I end up handling

my issue is the strapping gets old so I am going to get a large sky box kinda setup for easier use not because the bags did not work :)

I wouldn't want to be getting gear out of a wet and muddy bag at the end of a day, but I assume if your after a bag that you don't have a roof rack. Although if your worried about resistance, I'd look for one of the aerodynamic ones with an angled front instead of the square box type. here's an example of what i mean.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AOGA20/?tag=ihco-20

I've been using these Rolla Hitch Tray Cargo Bags on my Tundra roof rack for years and have never had a leak. Two bags fit my Tundra rack nicely.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E7WLJW/?tag=ihco-20

Now, I'm using them on my 40's roof rack and two bags fit nicely, but allow room for additional cargo on the rack.

I place the bags on the rack and load them there - then unload their contents, as needed, on the rack. No real heavy lifting - just the contents.

Note: I don't mess with the numerous straps that are included with the bags - I simply ratchet strap them to my racks.

Here's a couple of pictures of my 40, with the bags loaded on the rack, from a recent 700 mile trip in remote, central Nevada - zoom them in to really see how they look on the rack - I even carried two 5 gal water jerry cans in the bags, along with my block archery target.

photo 1 (8).JPG

photo (38).JPG
photo (39).JPG

North face makes a nice base camp duffel and it comes in many sizes, many which can be carried on your back as well......they start at like $125. and go up from there

I second the buy used Pelican boxes. I've bought two cheap and abused them. Their product is well, too good.

Barring that, there is a cheaper duffel bag option.

http://armynavysuperstores.com/mildufflebag.htm

Not a bad buy at $12 to $30 a pop..

We use the Rhinorack luggage bags. One has been through some very nasty storms, rain, snow, dust, etc. and kept the elements out completely and also taking some pretty good tree branch strikes. Bought two initially of the "half" bags but wish I purchased one "half" bag and one of the "small" bag, depending on the vehicle used. We only use the one and the other one just sits packed away... They have 5 different sizes to choose from.

http://www.rhinorack.com/products/luggage-bags/luggage-bags

We carry the Rhino Rack bags and I can speak to their quality as I've used one previously. They're pretty heavy duty, as is all of their equipment.
Let me know if you have any questions about them.

We use the Rhinorack luggage bags. One has been through some very nasty storms, rain, snow, dust, etc. and kept the elements out completely and also taking some pretty good tree branch strikes. Bought two initially of the "half" bags but wish I purchased one "half" bag and one of the "small" bag, depending on the vehicle used. We only use the one and the other one just sits packed away... They have 5 different sizes to choose from.

http://www.rhinorack.com/products/luggage-bags/luggage-bags

Thank you for the information.

We carry the Rhino Rack bags and I can speak to their quality as I've used one previously. They're pretty heavy duty, as is all of their equipment.
Let me know if you have any questions about them.

Thank you for letting me know. Where on your site can I find information?

Thank you for the information.

You're welcome. Here's a video of the bags taking abuse:

If the link doesn't work, YouTube mobile, the title of the video is "Rhino Rack Luggae Bag."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom