Water wetter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DKW

Threads
Has anyone experienced replacing coolant with water wetter?

My 96 33" with Toyota red, with clutch fan mod seems to be running a little warmer than last year, up to 196 Deg (max) with AC in Florida sun.

My buddy flushed his Landrover D1, and replaced with water/water wetter and saw a 10 degree lower temp, prior to water wetter he did get too hot and sometimes had to stop and cool down in slow traffic and sand trails. I am S Florida based so not concerned about freezing coolant.

If you have a have a cooling system problem it makes sense to fix the problem rather that add more complexity. Your buddies Landy probably benefited more from the extensive flushes it got prior to using the water wetter than it did from the water wetter itself.
On a practical side, what do you do if you are out somewhere - dosen't need to be wheeling - and you get a leak? What do you top it off with?

Reactions: DKW
If you have a have a cooling system problem it makes sense to fix the problem rather that add more complexity. Your buddies Landy probably benefited more from the extensive flushes it got prior to using the water wetter than it did from the water wetter itself.
On a practical side, what do you do if you are out somewhere - dosen't need to be wheeling - and you get a leak? What do you top it off with?
Good point on the flush. He just keeps distilled (I think distilled) water in the truck for top ups. He hasn't needed to yet.

He did say when he flushed his green coolant, it was clean, no sludge etc. Maybe the coolant itself, although it looked good, was just past its best?

I may just flush and add fresh red and see if that improves. I never have to top up, and it looks and smells fresh though, but i do not know the age of it, I would guess 20,000 miles, as I was 'told' it was replaced prior to my ownership.

I used that stuff in race cars in the early 2000's and it did improve temps.

With that being said, I agree with the above. If you're getting heat issues on an 80, there's an underlying problem which should be addressed.

I just discussed this topic - - do you have the "eyebrows" that mount to the bottom side of the front of the hood? theyre trim pieces to help with air flow at speeds.

do you have the insulation between the fan shroud and the radiator / and the weatherstripping on the front of the radiator which surrounds it?

what is the condition of your fan clutch? did you mod the fluid?

196* with AC on in S Florida sounds like "not broke, don't fix" to me.

I too would spend the time working on why its running hot rather than how to patch it. What has changed lately that would give you a 15DEG bump in temps. Start at that point

I've run it on quite a few vehicles over the years. Unfortunately, people think WW is something magic. Its not. All it really is, is an additive package. Anti acid, lubricants....As others have stated, water moves heat better than coolant.

I run around in high temp areas most of the time. I now run my coolant at 70/30 and stopped using it. 70/30 gives me good heat transfer but the freeze protection is -10. When I ran straight water with WW, my freeze point was 32. I really don't see much difference and at the mix I use now, I still get enough additives from the coolant.
Most of the tracks out here wont allow you to run coolant. WW and water is what everyone I know uses.

last year
I too would spend the time working on why its running hot rather than how to patch it. What has changed lately that would give you a 15DEG bump in temps. Start at that point
only change is new 33" mt tires, replaced worn 33" at tires. i will flush and replace with same toyo red and see how that does. my bump was about 6 deg, and as it is not my daily that's not totally accurate as i didn't track weather from last year to this year on the few weekends i get to drive it.

last year

only change is new 33" mt tires, replaced worn 33" at tires. i will flush and replace with same toyo red and see how that does. my bump was about 6 deg, and as it is not my daily that's not totally accurate as i didn't track weather from last year to this year on the few weekends i get to drive it.
Ah. That was someone else that said there normal temp was 184, thought that was you. I would not worry to much but I would keep an eye on it. My truck runs the same temp regardless of the weather. When its warmed up it consistently 192. Don't think I would bother with another flush. Just me

I'd change over to 70% distilled water and 30% coolant. You're in florida so you don't need the freeze protection nearly as much.

Flush your system and add new coolant. Use red and like others have said go for a 60/40 or 70/30 mix. Than see what your temps are and go from there.

The PO of my rig ran a 70/30 mix of red and the temps here in the southwest corner of Utah usually don't drop below 20 at night in the dead of winter with high's in the 110-120 range come summer. The PO never drove the rig North into colder weather so the 70/30 mix worked great for the him.

Unlike the PO of my rig I knew I would be using the rig for hunting and ice fishing trips with a good chance of seeing temps well below 0. So last fall I did a flush and added new toyota red with a 50/50 mix to avoid possible freezing problems.

Now my rig is running about 5-10 degrees warmer this summer compared to last summer before I flushed and changed my coolant so a 70/30 mix will definitley cool better than a 50/50 mix.

Been running water wetter and distilled water for 5 years. Never had a problem. Reduced my coolant temps.

I just discussed this topic - - do you have the "eyebrows" that mount to the bottom side of the front of the hood? theyre trim pieces to help with air flow at speeds.

do you have the insulation between the fan shroud and the radiator / and the weatherstripping on the front of the radiator which surrounds it?

what is the condition of your fan clutch? did you mod the fluid?
not sure on the eyebrows and no insulation, but yes new and mod'd clutch . radiator is also only a year old.

i am not too concerned on temp, just spoke to my buddy and thought as i am doing a flush soon, look at my options, and WW gave him a great improvement

not sure on the eyebrows and no insulation, but yes new and mod'd clutch . radiator is also only a year old.

i am not too concerned on temp, just spoke to my buddy and thought as i am doing a flush soon, look at my options, and WW gave him a great improvement
Check out Wits End Instagram. He just posted radiator insulation (2) days ago.

I think the temp difference people are seeing between vehicles can vary based on their front bumper design and possibly having lower gearing and more weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom