Water to Air Intercooler Kit for the TRD Supercharged FZJ80 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted a thread about my installation a couple years back (see here), and since then have had several people ask if I would produce a kit. After considerable time and effort, here it is. This is a fully bolt-on charge air cooling solution that uses existing factory-threaded holes to mount the front heat exchanger and requires no hood modifications to accommodate the IC core (some slight trimming of the underhood insulation is recommended). Routing of the coolant lines can be accomplished without any sheet-metal cutting, but a couple of strategically-placed holes directly behind the passenger-side turn signal make for a nicely-hidden installation.

At this time I’ll be offering the kit in two different configurations. The Basic Kit includes the main fabricated parts, leaving the circulation pump, wiring and plumbing up to you. The Master Kit includes everything needed to get up and running. Both kits will also come with detailed instruction notes and photo documentation. It’s not exactly a step-by-step manual, as there are too many variations in how different trucks are set up, but gives enough detail for the slightly-above-average shade tree mechanic to complete the install.

Basic Kit ($1250):

Intercooler Core
Intake Flange
Coolant Pump Mounting Plate
Heat Exchanger Mounting Brackets
EGR Modulator Relocation Bracket

Master Kit ($2250) includes all of the above plus:

Coolant Pump (Meziere all aluminum 20 gpm)
Coolant Pump Fittings (x2) (AN to 3/4" Hose Barb)
SS T-Bolt Clamps 3" (x4)
Silicone Straight Coupler (x2)
Heat Exchanger
Heat Exchanger Fan (7")
Remote Fill/Bleed Cap 3/4"
Silicone Heater Hose 3/4" (20')
Silicone Hose 6mm (6' for overflow)
Brass Elbow 3/4" (x6)
Brass 1/2" NPT Male to 3/4" Hose Barb - Straight (x6)
Brass 1/2" NPT Male to 3/4" Hose Barb - Elbow (x4)
Rear Heater Switch (OEM Toyota)
Wiring and Fuse/Relay Kit (x2 for Coolant Pump and IC Fan)
Wire Loom, Fuse Tap, OEM Terminals for Connection to AC Pressure Switch, etc.

I realize this is not cheap, but I believe it to be a robust system that should last the life of the engine with routine maintenance (coolant flush every few years, just like you would do for the engine’s cooling system), while providing an extra margin of safety from detonation. I make no guarantees regarding performance or anything else for that matter, but have been very pleased with the performance of my truck for the past 20k miles with the combination of the intercooler and 2.8” supercharger pulley providing smooth, reliable power.

Keep in mind that this is not a quick installation. There are many systems involved, and one should budget at least a couple of days. Feel free to contact me with any questions or for more detailed information - dfeher@me.com or PM through ih8mud works as well.

- Basic Kit -

Basic Kit.jpg

- Master Kit -

Master Kit.jpg

- Overview showing IC core and intake flange connection -

Top View.jpg

- Heat exchanger mounted behind stock grille (minor trimming required) -

Heat Exchanger.jpg

Basic Kit.jpg

Master Kit.jpg

Top View.jpg

Heat Exchanger.jpg

Last edited:
sweet setup! for the novices like me do you have any data on how much a system like this helps with a supercharged 80? meaning benefits (ie: air charge temp before vs. after etc?) Also wondering what the benefits of this are vs. an air to air setup. Usually I am looking for more power on road / freeway driving (more air flow) vs. slow rock crawling.

Also, from my research I thought a larger cooler and / or a reservoir tank is necessary to ensure you don't get heat soak?

Thanks!

Noah

Last edited:
sweet setup! for the novices like me do you have any data on how much a system like this helps with a supercharged 80? meaning benefits (ie: air charge temp before vs. after etc?) Also wondering what the benefits of this are vs. an air to air setup. Usually I am looking for more power on road / freeway driving (more air flow) vs. slow rock crawling.

Also, from my research I thought a larger cooler and / or a reservoir tank is necessary to ensure you don't get heat soak?

Thanks!

Noah

Hey Noah, thanks for the bump and kind words. I don't have any quantified data on intake temp delta, as my goal with the intercooler wasn't really to extract maximum performance from the engine, but rather to increase reliability by reducing the chance of detonation and decreasing the overall heat load on the engine. That said, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to add some temperature sensors into the system, I just haven't had the time or inclination to pursue it at this point.

As you probably know, the main benefit of a water/air setup over an air/air is that it retains some cooling capacity even with the vehicle at a standstill or slowly crawling up a steep trail. Of course heat soak will still occur at some point, but I'd argue that the water/air system, with forced air cooling over the heat exchanger, will have a somewhat lower "equilibrium temperature" than an air/air system after, say, sitting at idle for 10 minutes. Of course this is just an intuitive leap, and could/should be tested by someone with more free time and resources than I!

I did not include a reservoir tank in the system mainly to keep it as simple as possible. The increased amount of coolant in the system would lengthen the period of time before heat soak occurs, but in my mind this wasn't worth the additional cost and complexity. As it is, my unscientific testing has shown that the IC core remains well below the temperature of, say, the supercharger compressor housing under all operating conditions I have encountered thus far. Additionally, I have had zero pinging or any other issues, even when seriously taxing the engine by pulling a loaded trailer up mountain passes at 80-85 mph (for testing purposes, of course!).

Hope that helps, and let me know if you have any other questions.

I actually don't have my 80 any longer, but I can still put together a kit if anyone is interested. Lead time is about a month.

where did the pump mount behid grille or remotely? and which meziere did you prefer?

Pump mounts down on the PS frame rail, and is a 20-gpm capacity all-aluminum unit.

I posted a thread about my installation a couple years back (see here), and since then have had several people ask if I would produce a kit. After considerable time and effort, here it is. This is a fully bolt-on charge air cooling solution that uses existing factory-threaded holes to mount the front heat exchanger and requires no hood modifications to accommodate the IC core (some slight trimming of the underhood insulation is recommended). Routing of the coolant lines can be accomplished without any sheet-metal cutting, but a couple of strategically-placed holes directly behind the passenger-side turn signal make for a nicely-hidden installation.

At this time I’ll be offering the kit in two different configurations. The Basic Kit includes the main fabricated parts, leaving the circulation pump, wiring and plumbing up to you. The Master Kit includes everything needed to get up and running. Both kits will also come with detailed instruction notes and photo documentation. It’s not exactly a step-by-step manual, as there are too many variations in how different trucks are set up, but gives enough detail for the slightly-above-average shade tree mechanic to complete the install.

Basic Kit ($950):

Intercooler Core
Intake Flange
Coolant Pump Mounting Plate
Heat Exchanger Mounting Brackets
EGR Modulator Relocation Bracket

Master Kit ($1780) includes all of the above plus:

Coolant Pump (Meziere all aluminum 20 gpm)
Coolant Pump Fittings (x2) (AN to 3/4" Hose Barb)
SS T-Bolt Clamps 3" (x4)
Silicone Straight Coupler (x2)
Heat Exchanger
Heat Exchanger Fan (7")
Remote Fill/Bleed Cap 3/4"
Silicone Heater Hose 3/4" (20')
Silicone Hose 6mm (6' for overflow)
Brass Elbow 3/4" (x6)
Brass 1/2" NPT Male to 3/4" Hose Barb - Straight (x6)
Brass 1/2" NPT Male to 3/4" Hose Barb - Elbow (x4)
Rear Heater Switch (OEM Toyota)
Wiring and Fuse/Relay Kit (x2 for Coolant Pump and IC Fan)
Wire Loom, Fuse Tap, OEM Terminals for Connection to AC Pressure Switch, etc.

I realize this is not cheap, but I believe it to be a robust system that should last the life of the engine with routine maintenance (coolant flush every few years, just like you would do for the engine’s cooling system), while providing an extra margin of safety from detonation. I make no guarantees regarding performance or anything else for that matter, but have been very pleased with the performance of my truck for the past 20k miles with the combination of the intercooler and 2.8” supercharger pulley providing smooth, reliable power.

Keep in mind that this is not a quick installation. There are many systems involved, and one should budget at least a couple of days. Feel free to contact me with any questions or for more detailed information - dfeher@me.com or PM through ih8mud works as well.

- Basic Kit -

View attachment 810262

- Master Kit -

View attachment 810263

- Overview showing IC core and intake flange connection -

View attachment 810264

- Heat exchanger mounted behind stock grille (minor trimming required) -

View attachment 810265

View attachment 810262

View attachment 810263

View attachment 810264

View attachment 810265

Hello,
I’m in California. Do you know if this kit would pass?

Still willing to put these together for interested persons?

I sure could - would need to check the pricing and availability on some things to make sure nothing has changed, but it can be done. Send me a PM if you're interested.

I actually don't have my 80 any longer, but I can still put together a kit if anyone is interested. Lead time is about a month.

Are you still building these kits? Do you know if they help when installing a TRD SC in an OBD 1 FZJ80? Please pardon my ignorance, as I’m not a mechanic.

Are you still building these kits? Do you know if they help when installing a TRD SC in an OBD 1 FZJ80? Please pardon my ignorance, as I’m not a mechanic.

Sorry, no longer doing these.

I just picked up a Sc'er finally for my 80 and may try to work with a local shop to source the parts for a kit and if it works would maybe plan to create a group buy....

stoked to finally get some pep in an 80's step......relatively...

Man they drive so nice in the winter. Definitely need a intercooler for the summer. Interested in a kit.

I just picked up a Sc'er finally for my 80 and may try to work with a local shop to source the parts for a kit and if it works would maybe plan to create a group buy....

stoked to finally get some pep in an 80's step......relatively...
Let me know, as I’m Interested. I have the 7th injector setup to keep things relatively cool, but the Intercooler will definitely make things much better in the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom