Water Temperature Sender, 1968 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just received a sending unit P/N 83420-20010 and it is too long to install.

It is about 2 inches long, and there is only about 1 1/2 inch depth in the water jacket.

The supplier states this is a toyota part for 1958- 1972.

Is my only option to install a longer pipe nipple? The sender I removed is 1 inch in length, no idea if it original.

Thanks.

It is about 2 inches long, and there is only about 1 1/2 inch depth in the water jacket.

Is my only option to install a longer pipe nipple? The sender I removed is 1 inch in length, no idea if it original.

Thanks.

DO NOT install the shorter sensor

it will NOT work with your dash guage

u need the correct part below : taller nipple

simple to do it right and correct

1638049963998.png

DSCN0792_2048x.jpg

DSCN0794_2048x.jpg

DSCN0787_2048x.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.

What is the issue with the shorter sender?

From my understanding Toyota went to the shorter sender in the mid '70's, which I found out the previous owner put on the newer head to remove all of the california emission bits.

Thanks.

What is the issue with the shorter sender?

From my understanding Toyota went to the shorter sender in the mid '70's, which I found out the previous owner put on the newer head to remove all of the california emission bits.

you need a tall sender and tall union fitting to communicate with the guage in the dash

if you mix all this up your GAS coolant / temperature gauge in the dash will read wrong and off ?

if you have been told any different you have been given incorrect info ........

let mw know how i can help

matt

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, but more confused as how the short temperature sender affects the gas gauge?

From what I have found, the long and short senders have almost the same resistance vs. temperature.

Thanks.

ron ,

you asked the question in your first post :

Is my only option to install a longer pipe nipple? The sender I removed is 1 inch in length,

- you have a 1968 FJ40

- a 1968 FJ40 uses the Longer sensor u already have

- we already know that the shorter pipe nipple is wrong for a 1958-1972 , u mention that above

- we now know your PO installed a later cylinder head with the incorrect short nipple , and did NOT swap out the correct longer one .......

- so .....

- you now have all the information that says your only option is to install a longer nipple , Right ?

- if the sensors were interchangeable TOYOTA would only sell one of them , not offer both like you have discovered ...

- if you require more tech on why this is , i suggest you move on the the coolant / temperature gauges in the dash next and focus on the variations in them ,
this way u will better understand why u use the taller nipple and taller sender on a 1968

hope this helps

Thanks again.

I ordered the proper pipe reducing bushing from the local dealer for a 1969, will see when it arrives.

you need a tall sender and tall union fitting to communicate with the guage in the dash

if you mix all this up your coolant / temperature gauge in the dash will read wrong and off ?

if you have been told any different facts you have been given incorrect info ........

let mw know how i can help

matt
It's interesting that you decided to edit this post in the middle of the night, instead of publicly defending or correcting your comment on the gauge cluster. Especially after someone questioned your response to the post. Wouldn't it have been better to publicly say that you misspoke, or not, instead of making ron1's gas gauge comment seem out of place?

It's interesting that you decided to edit this post in the middle of the night, instead of publicly defending or correcting your comment on the gauge cluster. Especially after someone questioned your response to the post. Wouldn't it have been better to publicly say that you misspoke, or not, instead of making ron1's gas gauge comment seem out of place?

Your uptight because I made a honest and unintended punctuation error then as I read it later , I made a common place and publicity transparent Edit ?

Ok ?

To whom it may concern I messed up a single word in my efforts to help a fellow member better understand why he needs a taller pipe nipple and
The correct taller temp. Sender to communicate with his TeMp. Guage in his dash for a 1968 FJ40….

Not his gas gauge to be krystal klear ..

Perhaps , @pb4ugo you should provide some constructive tech to assist @ron1 here instead of outing a fellow member for spelling a word wrong 😑

I am only a Carbon Based life form ….:meh:

8D7A356A-734B-4D7D-8097-96974BAABA30.jpeg

Last edited:
What Matt was and is trying to say is that the short sender has a different ohms range, not designed to work with the ohms range of the earlier guage. THAT is why the longer fitting is the correct solution.

I have a box of those used fittings that I will probably never sell, now that Matt has nice shiny new ones available. :meh:

And @pb4ugo , WTF? Buy yourself some CBD toilet paper and calm your *ss down.

Thanks for the info. 65swb45.

I did find that the short sender ohms are higher cold than hot, agreeing with what you said.

I placed a variable resistor on my vehicle and verified the gauge functions, and indeed the sender needs to start at low ohms cold and increases with temperature.

I have the proper sender on its way.

Are you willing to sell one of your fittings, or provide the toyota P/N?

I did find that the short sender ohms are higher cold than hot, agreeing with what you said.

I placed a variable resistor on my vehicle and verified the gauge functions, and indeed the sender needs to start at low ohms cold and increases with temperature.

Happy to sell one. Check out my website and find some more stuff you need: I have a minimum order requirement.😊

the part # Ron is 90904-16127

@65swb45 has very high quality parts and the correct one u indeed need as well

good travels my friend :)

matt

ToyotaMatt,

Thanks for the P/N, but cannot make any matches on the interweb.

Edit: Just spoke with the local Toyota dealer, P/N didn't come up in the "normal" system, but he found one. Thanks again for the assistance.

Also, any idea why the text you type gets hidden in your post when I log in? If I don't log in, everything is visible.

Last edited:
ToyotaMatt,

Thanks for the P/N, but cannot make any matches on the interweb.

Edit: Just spoke with the local Toyota dealer, P/N didn't come up in the "normal" system, but he found one. Thanks again for the assistance.

Also, any idea why the text you type gets hidden in your post when I log in? If I don't log in, everything is visible.

no problem Ron , i am always happy to help a fellow mud member in any way i can ............

- this TALL nipple part # and it itself are long since Discontinued / NLA from Toyota globally to be very KLEAR here .........

- Me and my SKUNK-WORKS Lab have Reproduced it same exact in kind , including it's FIT FORM and FUNCTION as well too .............:)

- as far as my Thread Posted text font not being visible to you when logged in , i have only one concrete explanation possible ? You view MUD in the WHITE Forman back ground option and NOT in the Older Default Black and Orange Back ground .........

- please let me know if im correct here ? i indeed want you to see my thread post's here , as i am only doing my best to assist you here

- and as i mention above also , if @65swb45 can meet your needed parts needs , by all means please explore what he has as well , Marks OFF Road in Burbacnk , CA

offers Quality TOYOTA Genuine Parts in many levels , and i Vouch for him and his parts 100% :)

your in good hands either way Ron

happy holidays
matt

.1 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Yes, I did not have the default mode selected, it is good now.

Safe holidays to you as well.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom