WATER TEMP SWITCH female side of harness connector (upper thermostat housing) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

88Retired62

TLCA #8993
SILVER Star
Threads
The thin wire pulled out of sealed female side of the connector. Of course the connector is NLA for the FJ62. This has to be a common problem for us FJ62 owners. Just a few questions for those of us who have experienced this problem.

1. Describe the purpose of the WATER TEMP SWITCH? What does it control?

2. What happens if the vehicle is operated without the switch connected?

3. Is there an aftermarket switch (female housing) that can be substituted for the NLA part?

Someone more familiar with the 3F-E will likely set your questions straight, but I believe the water temp switch is used by the ECU as an input to control engine functions. A/F ratio for one. When the ECU knows the engine is cold, it can adjust "stuff" to help it run better. The other water temperature sender is used for the gauge.
I'm sure Toyota designed in a fail safe mode for a broken connector to the water temp sender, possibly with the only downside being that the engine doesn't run as efficiently when cold.

You might be able to remove the pin from the plastic of the female side, and repair or rig up a another female connector, that may or may not fit back in the plastic.
When my sensor went out, it was finicky to start and it gave me the check engine light. OSS is onto it.
I think it tells the ECU info to control fuel/air for startup and running.

I just had to take apart my housings due to a bad sensor on the lower housing. I believe there are 4 or maybe 5 sensors in total - someone posted a labeled picture on here somewhere. Which sensor specifically has the issue?

Thinking out loud - there are: Coolant temp input to the ECU (lower housing), cold start injector timer switch, sensor for the in dash gage, and....

I believe you’re spot-on, OSS & BIGBLUE. The already low gas mileage has headed even further south since the wire break. Just one of the myriad of switches born on the eve of the EFI revolution

621118B9-295D-439E-84D5-D31467C535EA.jpeg
View media item 59078
438AFD38-0CCD-4B69-B667-C97B93733B45.jpeg

79EADD6A-934C-4074-BC6A-5BF5FB5ED574.jpeg

D70D2196-D5B6-4DAE-801C-7871E51E576C.jpeg

50540E5D-CF65-4367-93FD-EC3774412AAF.jpeg

I know the green one on the right is a variable resistor that feeds coolant temp to the ECU. This is what failed on mine went open circuit making the ECU think it was -40 degrees outside.

The single wire sensor on the upper left is a on-off switch at some set temp. Not sure what the ECU uses it for maybe EGR. Being in the upper this will only see coolant flow when the t-stat is open. Hopefully you can find a replacement connector or get it wired up somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom