Water Temp Sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1971 F Engine. It appears that the water temp sensor for a 1971 is long and requires a Union and costs about $45. The temp sensor for a 1972 is much shorter and only costs about $10. Can I use the cheaper sensor for my 1971 engine? Thanks!!

I have a 1971 F Engine. It appears that the water temp sensor for a 1971 is long and requires a Union and costs about $45. The temp sensor for a 1972 is much shorter and only costs about $10. Can I use the cheaper sensor for my 1971 engine? Thanks!!

NO absolutely not

here are the LINKS you need :

your cluster gauges reads the signal differently

i have reproduced the TALL SENSOR UNION out of Marine Grade BRASS JIS threads pitch too

please review both LINKS below :

they will solve your issues

thanks
\
\

If pricepoint and accuracy are your primary concern, a mechanical guage will give you more accurate reading for less $$. If mediocre information and originality are primary, then buy stock. I have a box full of good used factory senders and unions for sale.

I run the mechanical guage on my ‘64.😉

Last edited:
If pricepoint and accuracy are your primary concern, a mechanical guage will give you more accurate reading for less $$. If mediocre information and originality are primary, then buy stock. I have a box full of good used factory senders and unions for sale.

i have NOS senders with marks used unions ..........

NO absolutely not

i have reproduced the TALL SENSOR UNION out of Marine Grade BRASS JIS threads pitch too

thanks
\
\

Sold!!! I will place an order today. Thank you very much!!

NO absolutely not

thanks
\
\

Hi all, i have an 1970 fj45 that im trying to keep original. I have the correct long sender unit and correct gauge but it just moves to the high reading after a few minutes of warming up. The gauge is different to others as it starts at the high end, is that correct? Do i need one of those extender nuts to make it read correctly as the sender is just straight into the engine at the moment.
Thanks!

Anyone know the thread diameter and pitch on the extender or sensor? It looks like it may be 1/2" pipe. That would simplify my work.

My 1970 came to me with a Chevy straight six. IT has a cheap mechanical temp gauge. I'd very much like to restore the original gauge. I took the instrument cluster apart today. I think I was successful at getting the odometer in working order. I was going to get a toyota sending unit and machine what I needed to make it work on the Chevy. IF the Toyota extender is 1/2" Pipe it is worth the price to me.

Hi all, i have an 1970 fj45 that im trying to keep original. I have the correct long sender unit and correct gauge but it just moves to the high reading after a few minutes of warming up. The gauge is different to others as it starts at the high end, is that correct? Do i need one of those extender nuts to make it read correctly as the sender is just straight into the engine at the moment.
Thanks!
How low does it drop when you first start it up?

Anyone know the thread diameter and pitch on the extender or sensor? It looks like it may be 1/2" pipe. That would simplify my work.

My 1970 came to me with a Chevy straight six. IT has a cheap mechanical temp gauge. I'd very much like to restore the original gauge. I took the instrument cluster apart today. I think I was successful at getting the odometer in working order. I was going to get a toyota sending unit and machine what I needed to make it work on the Chevy. IF the Toyota extender is 1/2" Pipe it is worth the price to me.
FAQ

The old style gauge starts above the high mark when off, when it is warming up it goes just below the high mark then sits just above the high.
It’s supposed to drop all the way to the C. The gauge has been shorted.

www.marksoffroad.net

Last edited:

PM me please

i DO have the GM SAE equivlent you need , and the PIPE taper for a SAE cylinder head straight 6 , DETROIT thread pitch and diamiter ....

i have had numerious requests for this topic over the years , so i keep a few on the shelf , for times like these here exactly ...

the TOYOTA sender threads are JIS metric too , its a old idea i had that never went anywhere , but i guess that is OK now if it can now help you ...:)

its SOLID brass , not all fancy-'d up BLING chrome plated BRONZE alloy marine grade like my JIS OEM period correct TOYOTA reproduction one is , but it IS SAE correct for you and the CHEVY straight 6 need you outline above ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom