Water Temp Sending Unit Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I believe my sending unit may be going, so I'm likely to replace it. I have the old style, so my question is, how does the wire stay captive in the little hole on top? I don't see a mechanism that holds it in place. Is it supposed to just slide in and out? Thanks.
coolfj40_1993_28789997.jpeg

If you look at the circle and post it sits atop in cross section, it looks like a "T". The wire has a fitting that slides on from the side and grips around to the bottom of the disk.

I don't think there's supposed to be a wire going into the hole.
I think there's supposed to be a clip type thingie on the end of the sender wire that slides over the round part that sticks up out of the sender...just like the oil pressure sender wire, and those brake M/C switches.

Hmmm. Maybe my sending unit isn't stock. I thought it looked like the one in the pic. The wire appears to be coming straight out the center of the unit. I'll have to check tomorrow. Thanks.

Look at the one on your oil pressure sender. Then you'll understand the descriptions by me and Pighead.

Most stock tempsending units I've seen have a regular old "tab" type rectangular wire connector sticking up out of the middle of them...

Most stock tempsending units I've seen have a regular old "tab" type rectangular wire connector sticking up out of the middle of them...

Curiosity (more like OCD) got the better of me so I went and checked in the dark. I wasn't prepared for the gush of radiator fluid so that ended that for tonight. :doh:

Grey, if you need the proper connector, I have one. Freebie.:beer:

Ed

Thanks Ed, appreciate that. I'm going to drive her to work tomorrow and see if the unit behaves.

Well, if you want it, just let me know, same connector is used on the fuel sending unit, the oil pressure sending unit and possibly others, too. Several harnesses or parts of harnesses here......scissors, too;)

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom