Water rising, Hurry up and glow! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wow that is intense. That reminds me, Ive neglected to re-route my diff vents.
g

Yes I believe I should re-route my diff vents as well, good point

No kidding... sigh, sadly, I was the first...

Don't feel too bad. It is a pretty common mystake in the US. I've had too many people in Washington comment about my "Jeep" (Nissan Safari/Patrol), except service men and one Pakistani running a Shell station near Everett. The station owner actually wanted to buy it there and then. Here in Canada, the common misconception is that the Patrols are Land Cruiser.

BTW, the Safari versions have plain old 24V glow plugs on a relay connected to temp sensors. On the Australian version they are 12V. On a warm day they hardly glow at all before starting. It is the same engine used in a UD1300 - the TD4.2T and the TD4.2TI. If anyone in the US comes across a manifold, turbo and intercooler from a wrecked UD1300, let me know.

The fact that the guy has an umbrella( a purple one at that) and his rig is about to be washed away....never mind if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all.

Whoops! I watched the video from my phone and never rewatched it on the PC.

ha ha I get mistaken for a jeep and rover all the time, we don't have nissan patrols over here and I did not recognize it, although I thought it looked funny from the side and behind, but I am discovering all kind of "non US" trucks everyday it seems. Many cool vehicles outside our borders. Hence why I imported the HJ.

Now if I were in the same situation, would I lock the hubs or just haul a$$???

Now if I were in the same situation, would I lock the hubs or just haul a$$???

I thought the same thing as well as what in the hell is he carrying the umbrella for. I would have ditched that immediately.

I thought the same thing as well as what in the hell is he carrying the umbrella for. I would have ditched that immediately.

When it was posted on the Patrol forum he was well charbroiled for that too... at least the umbrella. Apparently given the flooding conditions there all over the place at the time, some though taking the few seconds to lock in the hubs was a good idea. Like an 80 or 60, isn't that easy to float a Patrol away like those small cars being pushed down stream.

I'm not sure why he thought it was necessary to lock hubs to drive 10feet out of 12" of water on a hard paved surface.

Apparently (according to the commentary) he didn't lock the hubs anyway, he was letting the air out of his tyres :idea: :lol:

I'm not sure why he thought it was necessary to lock hubs to drive 10feet out of 12" of water on a hard paved surface.

A number of people on the Patrol forum who were in that flooded area commented that he likely knew the whole area was going to be a flood disaster zone - which in fact happened. So, I guess it was better to quickly lock them in on the bitumen -e ven with water rising - than do it when you really needed it.

When it was posted on the Patrol forum he was well charbroiled for that too... at least the umbrella. Apparently given the flooding conditions there all over the place at the time, some though taking the few seconds to lock in the hubs was a good idea. Like an 80 or 60, isn't that easy to float a Patrol away like those small cars being pushed down stream.

i'm guessing that while a 60, 80 ,patrol or anything similar are heavier than the smaller fry they are no more dense and therefore would float away just as easy. i'd have foregone the unlocking and took the extra seconds.

I've been through rushing water up over the rockers in a winter wash-out on the highway and numerous river crossings. I didn't feel like doing a couple hundred km detour for a washout that looked passable for my rig. I locked in and just took it slow, in case there were holes I couldn't see.

In conditions like that, it has less to do with density than pounds per square inch forced on the tires from the vehicle weight, the flow speed and the surface area the water is able to connect with. This is why you should always try to cross deep fast moving water on an angle to the main flow to reduce the pressure water is putting on your vehicle. Those small cars had much less PSI connected with the pavement and because they were lower had more surface area connecting with the water flow. If you look closely, when he drove away, he still had 10-15 cm clearance to the bottom of the rockers. His biggest risk was being hit by the little commuter cars being floated away.

Chat out... ;)

I would have locked them as well the more I think about it, better then than too late IMO!

Canuck- "This is why you should always try to cross deep fast moving water on an angle to the main flow to reduce the pressure water is putting on your vehicle."

A good thing to keep in mind. Thanks

I supposed my tall skinny tires would work fairly well for rushing water as more of my weigh is on a smaller contact patch! hmm never thought about that either.

Have a good one~

I've been through rushing water up over the rockers in a winter wash-out on the highway and numerous river crossings. I didn't feel like doing a couple hundred km detour for a washout that looked passable for my rig. I locked in and just took it slow, in case there were holes I couldn't see.

living in a 3rd world country with 8 month of rain season down here .. I saw that as my personal cheap insurance ..

One of the reasons why the Australian military wanted direct injection engines for their landrovers. Apparently engines take longer to glow when you are under enemy fire.:D

One of the reasons why the Australian military wanted direct injection engines for their landrovers. Apparently engines take longer to glow when you are under enemy fire.:D

LOL!

No s***. :D

okay here ponders the question, why was he the ONLY one to get into his land cruiser and move it out of the way vs the other car owners??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom