Water pumps and radiators. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nobody makes the best aftermarket water pump. Aisin makes the OEM waterpump and fan clutch. But it and be done.
Thanks, that's the answer I was actually looking for.
Anyone have links to the best place to buy the OEM water pump by Aisin? Also I hear mention about the "blue fan clutch".
Does Aisin make one like that.
Or do you have to do the mod yourself or buy it from someone who modifies them. I know it's supposed to have a higher viscosity fluid To spin at lower RPMs

Thanks Flintnapper,
Who makes the best aftermarket waterpump and fan clutch?
Also is the CSF 2517 Radiator made from Aluminum or Brass/copper?

It's brass and copper. Running the same unit on my Land Cruiser.

You'll want to use an Aisin waterpump and Aisin Blue hub fan clutch (FCT-004). Replace your radiator cap with a Toyota OEM cap.

Water pump ( Aisin WPT-023).

Thanks, now to throw a wrench in the works.
My local Land Cruiser shop, “ Mud rack “ mechanic told me he does not like CFS radiators,
He says the internal transmission cooler is not sufficient or equivalent to the OEM Koyo internal tranny cooler.

He said if he absolutely has to put in a CFS radiator he will bypass the internal tranny cooler and put in an auxiliary transmission cooler separate, as a separate unit.

He was basically telling me that the Koyo radiator is the proper unit for the 80

This is in regards to the FZJ 80

Last edited:
My local Land Cruiser shop, “ Mud rack “ mechanic told me he does not like CFS radiators,
He says the internal transmission cooler is not sufficient or equivalent to the OEM Koyo internal tranny cooler.

He said if he absolutely has to put in a CFS radiator he will bypass the internal tranny cooler and put in an auxiliary transmission cooler separate, as a separate unit.

He was basically telling me that the Koyo radiator is the proper unit for the 80

I bought an OEM radiator for my 96 in 2014 for about $385. It was a direct fit, everything worked, and it came with a new radiator cap. For the difference of $50, I know which way I would go again.

I've been running my CSF now for about 3 years, my transmission (monitored with an Auber Gauge) runs between 140-150° F. in the summertime. So I'd have to say the internal tranny cooler (while of 'different' construction) would seem to be "sufficient". I have also read more than one article (when researching the radiator) that suggested the CFS system was MORE reliable in terms of NOT leaking antifreeze into the tranny fluid.

So I am curious to know if the mechanic has any empirical evidence (failures he has witnessed) to offer or is just 'parroting' something he has heard, which is often the case.

I am not against using OEM....in fact I try to do that everywhere it makes sense to do so. But I must also say...I have found some Toyota owners/mechanics to be overzealous (or plumb eat up...as we say in Texas) with the idea that ONLY OEM is good enough.

Just isn't so. Sorry.

I've been running my CSF now for about 3 years, my transmission (monitored with an Auber Gauge) runs between 140-150° F. in the summertime. So I'd have to say the internal tranny cooler (while of 'different' construction) would seem to be "sufficient". I have also read more than one article (when researching the radiator) that suggested the CFS system was MORE reliable in terms of NOT leaking antifreeze into the tranny fluid.

So I am curious to know if the mechanic has any empirical evidence (failures he has witnessed) to offer or is just 'parroting' something he has heard, which is often the case.

I am not against using OEM....in fact I try to do that everywhere it makes sense to do so. But I must also say...I have found some Toyota owners/mechanics to be overzealous (or plumb eat up...as we say in Texas) with the idea that ONLY OEM is good enough.

Just isn't so. Sorry.

What is more actually the case is that people don’t want to pony up for the cost of having a Toyota or Toyota supplier part.

What is more actually the case is that people don’t want to pony up for the cost of having a Toyota or Toyota supplier part.

No question....that comes into play. But as with all things...its rarely that simple. People buy non-OEM parts for a variety of reasons.

1. Less cost (as you alluded to).
2. They don't know the quality difference, which can be significant.
3. Availability (circumstance might dictate sourcing a part right away).
4. Certain Non-OEM part(s) are actually available that meet or exceed the quality/duty standards of OEM parts. To deny this...is to be intellectually dishonest.
5. Owner does not intend to keep the vehicle or the vehicle see's relatively minor use, so owner does not see the value in using more expensive parts.
6. And risking blasphemy....some folks simply refuse to lose any sleep over not being a 'purist'. :)

But your point is well taken...and quite likely the most 'common' reason.

No question....that comes into play. But as with all things...its rarely that simple. People buy non-OEM parts for a variety of reasons.

4. Certain Non-OEM part(s) are actually available that meet or exceed the quality/duty standards of OEM parts. To deny this...is to be intellectually dishonest.
5. Owner does not intend to keep the vehicle or the vehicle see's relatively minor use, so owner does not see the value in using more expensive parts.
6. And risking blasphemy....some folks simply refuse to lose any sleep over not being a 'purist'. :)

Yeah all decent points.

This sure is not 2004 anymore.

Just isn't so. Sorry.

Well the shop has been here I guess for about 20 years. It is a real Land Cruiser shop there’s always about 20 to 40 Land Cruiser’s parked all around it being worked on in different stages everything from 40 series on up and some rare Land Cruisers including diesel engine ones, all that stuff. I don’t know, maybe Gary is wrong. Gary does agree with Beno though, that OEM factory parts are the best but now I guess we can’t get Denso radiators.
Gary (Mudrack) has worked on over a thousand Land Cruiser’s over the years. He’s just stating what he has seen. I don’t know I’m new to all this stuff that’s why am asking questions.

Yeah all decent points.

This sure is not 2004 anymore.

Thank you Beno for responding to this thread I appreciate all your knowledge and experience.
Just wondering ,
Is there anywhere I can get an all brass and copper radiator that will properly work in the FZJ 80 series?
Is there anything all metal that is better than CFS?

So I am curious to know if the mechanic has any empirical evidence (failures he has witnessed) to offer or is just 'parroting' something he has heard said:
In regards to if he has seen this stuff, yes he has seen it and he is the one that did all the work and even had the transmissions rebuilt that were overheated.
out here in California the cost of (rebuild) the automatic transmission for the FZJ 80 is about $4500

But maybe you are both right a little in this instance maybe it’s very few and far in between that this happens. But being that he’s one of the main Land Cruiser mechanics in Northern California he probably has seen a lot of them because people are going to bring that problem to his shop.

Last edited:
Thank you Beno for responding to this thread I appreciate all your knowledge and experience.
Just wondering ,
Is there anywhere I can get an all brass and copper radiator that will properly work in the FZJ 80 series?
Is there anything all metal that is better than CFS?

16400-66040

Any toyota dealer can get you the part.

Get the T.Rad Beno listed. Mine made it 23 years and only replaced as PM. It's like $350. I initially bought the CSF...sent it back. Not a fan.

Good points. I am NOT a purist. I have worked on LOTS of Chevy, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, and Studebakers over the years. Only a few Toyotas. I have LOTS of experience in aftermarket parts (I used to work behind the counter, and my son does the same at O'Reilly) and I have pretty much ONLY used aftermarket parts over the years. Primarily due to out-of-pocket COST. The dealerships in all listed above (except Studebaker for obvious reasons) had WAYYY higher prices than what I could get aftermarket parts for. Since at that point in my life it was ONLY about the cash outlay, I went with aftermarket (NAPA, O'Reilly, Autozone, Big A, etc.....) on MOST of everything. Over time, you see patterns of good parts and bad parts.

I TRIED the aftermarket parts on the Toyotas I had. First of all it was RARE, because they RARELY needed them, compared to the other brands listed. When I did try the aftermarket stuff, the life of the part or the performance of the part was SIGNIFICANTLY less than the Toyota part (Exhaust, and radiators in particular) Over time, and as my life status has changed and I have more income to dedicate to auto repair / restoration, I am able to afford the "more expensive parts" from Toyota. As it turns out, the parts from Toyota are NOT that much more expensive (especially when you shop around and or you use the 'Mud discounts available) We're only talking about a few % points now instead of 4X the price as I have experienced in the past.

Another one to add to your list is "Perceived excessive cost from a dealership" even though the REAL cost from a dealership is only a very small difference. If I can buy a CSF online for $314 (Don't forget to add freight) and a Toyota for $385, that's a $71 difference or an increase of 22.6%. Yes, that's significant in my book. However, I do not know the HISTORY of CSF radiators other than the "reviews" I read online. I believe everything I read online.....NOT! From personal experience, the first Toyota radiator lasted 18 years when POORLY maintained. That's $21.39 per year. The CSF, if it lasts that long, will be $17.44 per year. Still 22.6% difference, but it appears much less significant.

If the CSF only last 2/3 of the life of the last Toyota radiator, than it's $26.17 per year. But my labor of doing it all again. I am discovering that time is quickly becoming my most important commodity. I will pay more CASH so I can keep more TIME. If I end up replacing the parts LESS OFTEN, then my total cost (time+$$$) is less because time=money.

Look at how CHEAP the Toyota belts are. I cannot buy the aftermarket belts from O'Reilly's (even with my son's discount) for less than I can buy the parts from Toyota. I may as well buy the RIGHT part, for less money. In my past, I would have AVOIDED the dealership "because it was going to be higher anyway...." when in reality, that is not the case. Of course, we now have the interwebs, so parts shopping is at our fingertips instead of lots of phone calls and driving place to place to get quotes.

SO, as I have gotten older (and I HOPE wiser) the "more expensive part" is not always the "most expensive part". It's like only putting in 5 gallons of gas in your car. Your car will still get horrible gas mileage, but you have to do it a LOT more often, costing you more TIME. Just fill it up. I get it if you don't have the CASH FLOW to afford to fill up the car with gas because you have to eat until the next paycheck, but if that's the case, you should be driving a 2000 Ford Taurus and not an 80.

That's my $2.00 worth......

No.

The T.Rad factory radiator would have a plastic/resin upper and lower tanks.

After market would be all metal.

Just make this thread complete, what is the difference between the T rad radiator and a Koyo radiator ?
Does Koyo make the T rad for Toyota?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom