water pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
oh well....after much investigation, its the pump.
i"m a fair to good mechanic, but have never done a waterpump on my rig.
how long would it take me, and any pointers?
also...i am keeping a close eye on the leak. I wont have the time to fix it until April 8th.
since its dripping from the weep hole, and not much, can i wait? or am i going ot have a catastrophic failure?

It's not that big of a deal to repalce the water pump. I'm not much of a mechanic either, and it took me less than 2 hours to do it. I went ahead and pulled the shroud so that I had more room to work. I think that the torque for water pump bolts is 27 ft-lbs, but search for that before you use that value. I asked that question about torque a few weeks ago. Replace it ASAP so you don't end up in the middle of BFE with no water pump.

Ryan S. said:
I think that the torque for water pump bolts is 27 ft-lbs, but search for that before you use that value. .

That's what I used for torque last weekend an no problem so far.

You'll need to pull the battery tray to get the shroud out. I find it easier to unbolt the fan clutch and shroud at the same time and pull them out together. Have some small screw drivers or picks to slide in and the break on the hoses.
It's also a good idea to put a piece of cardboard on the back side of the radiator once you get the shroud out to plotect it so you don't bend any fins while you are working.

You may also want to replace any old hoses while your in there.

hammer1 said:
also...i am keeping a close eye on the leak. I wont have the time to fix it until April 8th.
since its dripping from the weep hole, and not much, can i wait? or am i going ot have a catastrophic failure?

It leaks around the shaft seal. Leaks slowely at first, then faster. No real way to predict how much time you've got until it leaks too fast to drive. If you have to wait until April 8th, then don't drive it much - and keep a bunch of coolant in the back just in case. Watch it carefully.

When you do the replace, you'll need a gasket for the backside of the pump. Also as mentioned, there are a bunch of hoses that connect to the pump - this will be the right time to replace them.

I don't work very fast, but think it took 3 hrs or so. Not too hard a job - just some awkward stuff.

As mentioned, remove the clutch/fan/shroud as one unit for sure!

Here is my word of caution. Be careful on the part you buy. I bought a rebuilt pump from a store here in town. After I had almost everything installed I tried to put the fan on. It would not fit. I found out the shaft on the water pump was too big. I had to rip it all back apart. Yes, I am cheap and didn't buy a toyota pump. It has lasted me a few years so I'm not going to say don't go aftermarket, just make sure everything fits.

use OEM, OEM, OEM....... and do the job once ;)

-db-

While you are in there, I would replace all of the following if they have not been replaced recently:

Water pump,
Fan clutch,
T-Stat,
Hoses,
Belts, and
Any Noisey idler pulleys.

When I did mine, I found it easier to also remove the thermostat housing (the bottom part that bolts to the engine. This gives you more clearance to see and get at the pump. It's just another gasket and a couple of bolts. Be prepared to have to replace the thermostat and housing bolts. These are prone to corrosion.

If you've got the $$$ it's a good time to replace all the cooling hoses--radiator, heater and oil cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom