Water pump. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Colorado Boy-74-FJ40

I may grow older but I refuse to grow up!
Threads
I got a re-manufactured water pump for my 74 FJ40 (bone stock straight 6) from Checker Auto yesterday (special order $ 39.00) I plan to put it in this weekend. Should I permatex the gasket in place or let the gasket do all the work? I noticed the gasket only covers about half the area of the mounting surface. I was worried that it might leak. Maybe I'm worried about nothing. Also. I removed the tube and feed lines/plugs that used to supply the air pump air to the exhaust at the head. I plan to plug the holes with metric Allen type plugs held in with thread lock. Has anyone done that? Is it going to hold? I got high-temp. thread lock and the plugs are steel. I figured it should work.

Last edited:
Colorado Boy-74-FJ40 said:
I got a re-manufactured water pump for my 74 FJ40 (bone stock straight 6) from Checker Auto yesterday (special order $ 39.00) I plan to put it in this weekend. Should I permatex the gasket in place or let the gasket do all the work? I noticed the gasket only covers about half the area of the mounting surface. I was worried that it might leak. Maybe I'm worried about nothing. Also. I removed the tube and feed lines/plugs that used to supply the air pump air to the exhaust at the head. I plan to plug the holes with metric Allen type plugs held in with thread lock. Has anyone done that? Is it going to hold? I got high-temp. thread lock and the plugs are steel. I figured it should work.

Just replaced my water pump a month or two ago...OEM/gasket...and I also added RTV to the mix...just to be sure...no leaks so far.

My cruiser has the air rails plugged with the metric allen heads as well...seem to be holding just fine...was done on the rebuild...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom