Water Pump Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am replacing the waterpump on my 74 FJ40 with an F engine.

1. Anyone know the torque setting for the pump bolts to the engine? Or just tighten them well.

2. On the gasket between the water pump and the engine, is it ok to just put a thin coat of silicone on both sides? Anyone recommend anything else?

3. Torque setting on the bolts from the thermostat housing to the engine?

Thanks

FSM does not specify. Go with Brian. And on the gasket sealer, I generally do a thin coat on both sides, let it tack and go.

Ed

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would breath new life into this old one. Does anyone have "how to" list with pics on replacing the water pump? I am mostly concerned with the radiator and fan removal for the install.

Robert

No need to remove the radiator.

Draing radiator. Take the shroud off. Take the fan blade off - 4 bolts. Take the belt off. Remove the bolts holding the water pump on and remember where they go. Take off / pry off water pump. Scrape every bit of gasket off the surface of the block. Put new gasket on. Put water pump back on. Put fan back on. Fill radiator. Check for leaks. Put shroud back on.

Done. Oh, and don't buy a cheap reman water pump unless you want to do this again in 6 months.

:cheers:

CRAP.....Thats what I did! :doh:

I just bought the NAPA reman and put it in, well maybe it will last longer? thanks for the info the install went smooth.

Is there an engine drain that anyone has a picture of? I spent two hours cleaning up radiator fluid after I drained the radiator I didn't realize how much would come out of the block (was I supprised.) after pulling the pump.

Thanks

CRAP.....Thats what I did! :doh:

I just bought the NAPA reman and put it in, well maybe it will last longer? thanks for the info the install went smooth.

Is there an engine drain that anyone has a picture of? I spent two hours cleaning up radiator fluid after I drained the radiator I didn't realize how much would come out of the block (was I supprised.) after pulling the pump.

Thanks

I've had good luck with NAPA remanufactured water pumps and brake and clutch master cylinders. I wouldn't worry about it. I believe it was the water pump (or maybe it was the brake master) that had the ACCO casting on the body...ACCO is the mark for Aisan, the OEM manufacturer. My experience is that NAPA parts are much better than AutoZone and some of the other auto parts stores. I did have to make a slight mod to the pulley on the shaft to fit my '77 but that was easy. I think the hardest part of water pump replacement that I and others I know have faced but that no one here has mentioned is getting out the old bolts. As someone said, they thread into cast iron and often get pretty corroded so that they are easy to twist off. Use plenty of Liquid Wrench or equivalent (not WD40!) a day or so before. The best stuff I've found is home brew Old Red (thanks Mark W!) that is equal parts of kerosene (or diesel fuel), paint thinner (or mineral spirits), acetone, and automatic transmission fluid. When you reassemble, use anti-seize on the bolt threads. I usually use copper coat on the gaskets but a little silicone is OK (don't go overboard).
HTH
Pete

****.....Thats what I did! :doh:

Thanks

The engine drain is on the drivers side of the block between the oil pressure sending unit and the firewall. No pics sorry

Well here is an update, so far so good on the water pump. No leakes or problems (as of yet). Thanks for the info guys

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom